1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Field Hockey in the bright sun.

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by vz223, Sep 20, 2008.

1. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Shot my daughter's game today under sunny skies. I started out in Aperture but switched back to what I feel most comfortable, good old Manual Mode, SS at 2500-3200, Auto ISO (stayed at 200) and stopped down to F3.2 as I think the Sig 70-200 is at it's sharpest. I know a lot of you sports shooters shoot in Aperture most of the time. So,,,,,,I am wondering if you shoot in Aperture when it is sunny and Manual when it's overcast?

2874398820_88c8b9f751_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2873570725_017effd03d_b.jpg

2874399602_33358fdfb5_b.jpg

2873568913_8aab65465b_b.jpg

2873569225_a24dc6764b_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  2. nice Vince...would just suggest getting lower if you're able, for a different perspective.

I was actually wondering the same, as I shoot AP 99% of the time outside...and several times at ISO 200 on really bright days I get the "HI" warning, so I'll usually back off to f3.2 or f3.5 until it goes off, but I'm not sure if I really should or not....next time I'll check the histogram more closely. And, I'm reluctant to go to "Lo".

I still shoot AP on cloudy days as well...I don't think the mode is as important as the f stop, to try and separate your subject from the background and get that pop...

3. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Go lower on ISO as long as SS are above 1250
    Go for perfect Histogram
    [​IMG]

To heavy on left to many shadows:eek: 
    To heavy on Rgt to many blinkies :mad: :Angry:
    Get a nice even bell curve look Check histogram often light changes , positioning changes things
    You can do this in manual mode or AP

4. thanks Mark, def give it a try...

5. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Thank you,

I was planning on sitting in the grass but that changed when I got to the field (away game) and discovered the fence was just four feet off the end lines leaving no room. So I broke out the Giotto monopod the wife bought me for the big 45th B'day last week.
    Tomorrow is another away game amd I'm hoping to give the lower perspective. Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.