Field of Flowers

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Getson, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Getson

Getson

Oct 10, 2006
    Halifax, NS
  2. I like it, especially the dramatic sky over the peaceful wildflowers. Which lens?

3. Getson

Getson

Oct 10, 2006
    Halifax, NS
    The 18-70 (kit lens)

I got lucky. I was coming back to Nova Scotia from New Brunswick after shooting a wedding and the clouds were scary looking. I ate breakfast then found this little hill on the side of a place called Fort Beausejour. It began to rain shortly after I shot that.

4. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    Very interesting image.

Was there a break in the clouds that left light on the flowers, or was some other technique involved?

5. Getson

Getson

Oct 10, 2006
    Halifax, NS
    Actually, the dark clouds didn't go much farther than what is shown in the frame. It was a huge cloud mass that was just starting to sweep over the landscape.

It's a little bit of dodging. Shhh.

I shot RAW and in post, used that one exposure and created two separate ones - one for the clouds and one for the grass. I blended the two together and kept the grass a touch on the dark side and dodged it a tiny bit around the middle to give it a more moody feeling.

I figured since there was no 'real' interest in the frame, doing that would create a little.

6. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    Thanks for sharing your technique on this. As far as creating interest, you succeeded IMO.