Fifework Pictures......tips?

I have an exclusive invitation to sit on the roof of the NYCDOT Ferry Building to photograph the fireworks this year.

Anyone with experience shooting fireworks?

:smile:

tripod mount your camera
lowest ISO
cable or other remote release

f/9 or so
BULB setting

if it is PITCH BLACK... try 5-15 second exposures during the bursts

here is a link to some i took 2 years ago
D200... and a setup as above
all the EXIF data is with each picture... HOVER over the image... then click PHOTO INFO

http://savel.smugmug.com/gallery/1631899_Sin4W#79587055_CFTYc

good luck

Thanks i was figuring that, i just didnt want to shot and test while the display was going on. Your pictures are great!

Halftime in Central Florida, halftime RV'ing.
I agree with Greg. One other thing to try. Cover your lens between bursts, in bulb mode, uncover when you see new firework launched. A ball cap works great. Also, I like to include some of the scene, for context. More interesting than just the burst to me. YMMV Most of all, have fun!

I agree with Greg. One other thing to try. Cover your lens between bursts, in bulb mode, uncover when you see new firework launched. A ball cap works great. Also, I like to include some of the scene, for context. More interesting than just the burst to me. YMMV Most of all, have fun!

Ahhh, yes. I had read that before and forgot to bring something to cover the lens last night. Great tip.

Tripod for sure.......f9 or f11, around 8 to 15 sec shutter speed depending on your ISO setting. Having a shutter release helps as well.

Shoot the early salvos. Once the sky fills with smoke, it ruins the clarity. If you are lucky, you will have a steady breeze to clear the smoke away.

Thanks i was figuring that, i just didnt want to shot and test while the display was going on. Your pictures are great!

you are kind to say
the truth is.... i had NO idea what i was doing that night... except for following the advice of others here at THE CAFE

i'm just passing on that very same advice to you
good luck

2.5-4sec
F/10
ISO 100
etc....

Fireworks1_1.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fireworks1_3.JPG

Fireworks1_10.JPG

From my experience, too long of an exposure washes out the colors and too many fireworks layer over one another.

Now that is only true if they're shooting them mostly in the same exact spot. If you see that your fireworks are spread out more, you can try longer exposures to get more per shot.

Great advice from all. For my 2cents worth, keep lens covered, watch fire trail of rocket, count about 2-3 seconds, uncover lens, count from 5-10 seconds. Advice about hoping for a little wind is right on. On a perfectly still night, the smoke often obscures the colorful explosions. For me, the best scenario has been a crystal-clear night with very low humidity and a nice breeze. Also, I like using a wide angle lens such as a good wide to telephoto zoom. Good luck!

Latest threads

Top Bottom