Figure Skating

I was contracted to photograph a skating competition in Ann Arbor last week, Photographing pairs and dance is both very challenging and lots of fun. Challenging because the camera is constantly rotating from portrait to landscape, and they move fast so not a lot of time. Here are a few from an up and coming senior team.

ann-arbor-2021-371657-_D5K5516.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ann-arbor-2021-371813-_D5K5672.jpg

ann-arbor-2021-371826-_D5K5685.jpg

ann-arbor-2021-371639-_D5K5498.jpg

ann-arbor-2021-371513-_D5K5372.jpg

ann-arbor-2021-371587-_D5K5446.jpg

Last edited:
amazing athletic ability. they’re doing things while moving on skates I doubt most people can do while stationary on a carpet. Really good photos that illustrate very well what they’re doing.

Sometimes when I shoot sports, I don't bother rotating the camera to switch formats from H to V, and back to H. It takes too much time when things are happening FAST. I just shoot in H and crop for V. Not the best solution, but a practical one, for me.

Nice to see that you're back shooting the sport!

Glenn

Yes, been pretty sparse over the last year but starting to pick up.

amazing athletic ability. they’re doing things while moving on skates I doubt most people can do while stationary on a carpet. Really good photos that illustrate very well what they’re doing.

Thanks! I have some ice dance photos I will post when I get a minute. The strength to doing this - particularly fort the female partner - is amazing.

Sometimes when I shoot sports, I don't bother rotating the camera to switch formats from H to V, and back to H. It takes too much time when things are happening FAST. I just shoot in H and crop for V. Not the best solution, but a practical one, for me.

Good thought. But, what I have to do is 'get it right in Camera' - there is no option to edit in post. For this pair I think I took about 400 photos. They were the only senior pair team there, but there was another 1000 starts by individual skaters over the 4 days. We - another photographer that I hired - shot for about 78 hours taking around 135,000 photos between us ... So editing in post is not an option. Shutters are cheap 😱 I rarely even see all the photos I take - but I am lucky my Customers do!

Nice captures - 6 is my favorite.
Thanks!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom