Figured out how to get a Sigma 50/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Phillip Ino, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    But it's through a Malaysian Camera store that is getting it from Japan, so it's a Japan warranty only. Although, the Malaysian store is giving a 1 year warranty of their own. I should probably just be patient and wait till it is released in the states, huh?

2. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Why do ya need it? :)

just wonderin'. Optically to me it doesn't look quite as good as the Nikkor, plus it's so much bigger and has that built-in focus motor that you really only need if you have a D40/X/60.

3. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    They sure had better allocate more than one for the state of Texas or there's gonna be some hard feelins.:smile:

4. Yanki01

Yanki01

Aug 10, 2008
    Texas
    where from and for how much?

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I quite like HSM...it's a lot quieter and faster than the Nikkor. And I really enjoyed the 30/1.4 on DX. Hoping it performs similarly on FX. Not bothered by the size at all...in fact it seems more proportionate to me :biggrin:

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    That's what I'm talkin' about! :smile:

7. EssieK

EssieK Guest

I'm jogging down to the local store on Sept 8th - they aren't 100% sure, but they reckon they'll get a "few" in stock by then. Won't be buying it right there and then, just test it. Getting used to my 30mm until then :smile:

8. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Well I just got off the phone with Sigma and was told they'll be shipping out to the vendors next week :biggrin:

9. EssieK

EssieK Guest

I just checked with my local shop here - they have 8 in stock :biggrin:

10. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I wonder why that is? Is the market for them pretty large there?
    GO get one NOW! :biggrin:

11. EssieK

EssieK Guest

In a population of approx 4.5 million people nearly 150.000 own a dSRL. I bet half of those own a Nikon. 80% of those again are amateurs like me. But that is a potential 75.000 customers for these kinda lenses. And Norwegians want to get (like most others) the most bang for their buck - but we're lucky enough that most of us enjoy a very comfortable lifestyle with "money to spend" (after all - we do live in one of the most expensive countries in the world, but stuff like this is comparatively cheap compared to day-to-day expenses). Don't get me started on the cost of owning your own house or having a "0.4 litres of gas per 10 kilometers of milage" car..... (which is a normal car - an "american" car guzzling down 3 litres pr 10 kilometers is considered way too expensive (and not to mention somewhat rude and inappropriate :smile: )

edit: and I think my wife would kill me if I came home with that Sigma 50 today.....

12. the nikon AF-S 50mm 1.4 G with ED glass is on the way according to the latest rumors, I would wait a little before jumping at the sigma, There quality control is not great, so I would be very careful before ordering one on the net, this lens must be tested at the store before swiping the plastic, just like the 30mm HSM...

13. EssieK

EssieK Guest

well, I currently own a 3 year old 30mm. Still in excellent shape regarding the optics. A bit "flaky" on the outside (coating) - but I don't care about that part really :smile:

14. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Ahh! Well you should at least go and "try" one out LOL :biggrin:

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I'm not really worried about QC...it seems to be a lot better on their prime lenses. I think most people were complaining about the sharpness and getting ti confused with VERY shallow DoF. The Nikkor is going to be priced ridiculously, and I'm not even sure if they've changed the optical formula!

16. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    What? Optically it looks much sharper (especially at f/1.4) and has much better bokeh. Although it's double the price and size.

17. Have you seen the reviews of the Canon version? Looks pretty good. I need/want the HSM or AFS for shooting basketball sans flash/strobe. I have the Siggy 30f1.4 and it works well, but the DOF is too much.

But, the rumored Nikon price is near the US$700-800 range, that may force me to the Siggy which is US$500 itself. But I'm gonna wait a little to see how they compare.

18. I had the sigma 30mm, it had sever front focusing problems, luckily the D300 had a way around it, also while HSM is fast, the autofocus feels a bit <Nervous, itchy, irritated!!?!> I am just saying that with sigma its better to test/buy the 50m in the store than ordering on line because there quality control is not up to nikon standards...