File Renaming Software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phecksel, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Looking for something cheap and easy :)

Want to rename all my nef's and jpg's from DSC_xxxx to DSC_0xxxx

2. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    If you're on Mac, try R-Name. It's free. Like other free utilities (search "rename" on versiontracker), it's a front end to the Unix commands I'm too lazy to learn. Lots of options and variables.

If you're on PC, I'm sure others will help you. Bet a simple DOS command could do it.

On either platform, PhotoMechanic can do this in spades, using variables you define and/or extract from EXIF. But it's a little expensive for just renaming files!

3. Thank you Nancy

Yes, on a PC.

Rename didn't like adding an additional character into the name

ren DSC_????.nef DSC_0????.nef
    error file name taken or something like that

I will take any advice for proper dos command syntax

4. Hello phecksel,

here's a free one that I use my WinXP box...it's called Lupas Rename, it's free and it does the trick. It will easily allow you to insert a character at specified position in the file name.

Hope this helps.

5. Maybe the DOS command should have been ren DSC_****.nef DSC_0****.nef
    Thinking way back to my DOS days..... hard to remember.

EDIT: But now I remember, 8 character name only! Can't do 9.

Personally, I use a terrific program called NameWiz, lets you rename files and folders, etc. Can even rename extensions. Very handy.

6. Ant in Oz

Ant in Oz Guest

Not much help, but nope '* = one or more characters' so it wouldnt work. Easy to do in Unix, cant remember the details in DOS. Also, eight character limitation is long gone.

Ant.

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
  8. I use Newname Pro

9. Shows you how long it's been since I used DOS!! :biggrin: Didn't know the 8 char limit was gone....

10. TheBear

TheBear Guest

I wrote a little utility to do this. I'll try to dig it up. I can fire it off to you if you like.

11. That would be great, thank you

12. apple snob

Just kidding!

I've been doing PC's since the beginning, and closer to chucking it all now then I've ever been.