File sizes - what to do!

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by dkabat, Sep 19, 2005.

1. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    Now I am at the part of the learning curve where Photoshop is in the mix. Have spent the summer learning to get decent images and learning the camera (D70) as well as developing my workflow. I shoot in RAW and use ACR for conversion (sometimes NC using Mr. Reznick's help). Just purchased PK Sharpener and started testing PS workflow. First PSD file I created was 180mb! Wow, my first hard drive was only 5mb.

The ultimate purpose of my images is threefold - 1) start a net gallery (PBase or SmugMug, haven't decided yet), 2) the occasional print and 3) computer slideshows maybe even a DVD on TV.

Here is the question of the day. Do you find it necessary to save these huge edit files. It seems to me that the great majority of these PSD files could be easily recreated from my multitude of converted RAW backups. I'm sure as I progress that some images will become special and will definitley want to save these, but the bulk of the images could be saved as output only JPG files and these large PSD files could be for the most part considered temporary. This should make the storage problem less of a headache.

Your comments and suggestions are as usual apprecited.

Dan

2. Dan, it all depends on what you want to do. I usually save my PSD files as masters because there is often a lot of postprocessing work that would be difficult or very time consuming to reproduce. The PSD retains the image quality and layers so if you need to make changes you easily can. From the PSD you can make images for print or for the web. If you save the PSD, it's easy to go to the web or print. Those copies don't necessarily need to saved. My recommendation is to save your PSD, especially if you have as much work as I have here. This PSD is over 660 MB. :smile:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. Welcome to the wonderful world of Photoshop and large image files.
    ipatchworkcopy.

3. Dan,

In my workflow I download .jpg and RAW files from the camera. I create four folders for each day's shoot folder: e.g.

2005-09-18
    Original RAW
    Working jpg
    Culls
    Production.

The working folder contains the original jpgs which I screen for quality. I then move both the jpgs and reject RAWs to the Cull folder. If they contain images of other people I may keep only the questionnable RAWs otherwise, when I've produced production images all the culls get deleted; an alternative is to keep all the RAWs for one year. By that time you've probably done all the research you'll need.

I postprocess the RAWs in NC and save the setting files (2-3K) for each in the original folder and the tifs in the production folder. When I have finished further PC processing printing/or whatever the tifs, I save them as jpgs in the production folder and delete the tifs. I can always get back to the tifs since I've saved the originals and their NC settings. If the RAW->tif needed a lot of PS processing I may save that particular tif file too, but not usually.

Thus I save only the good RAWs along with their settings file and jpgs of the production images which are good enough to print should the need arise, and nothing else. I hope this is not confusing and is helpful

Rich

4. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    Thanks for the insight from both of you. As usual there is no one way. Will have to think this through a little more.

Dan