File Transfer Problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Russ Smith, Nov 8, 2005.

1. I downloaded the firmware update for the D2X. I formated to Sandisk CF in the camera. 1 GB and 4 GB.

I am using windows XP Professional.

When I try and copy the file to the CF I get a message saying it failed. "The path is to deep". I have used all the copy methods I can think of.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? My reader is my J drive.

BTW the reader is a SanDisk.

Russ

2. Just wondering if your path name is very long or corrupted. Try moving the file to the root directory and then copying it. Just a thought.

3. Tried your suggestion.

Put the files in the root of C. Tried to copy. Same message.

Russ

4. Format the CF card in your PC, do a Full Format, this will completely clear the card. Good idea to do this once in a while anyway, as the in-camera does the equivalent of a "Quick" format. If you still have the problem, do screen shots of the steps so we can see what is going on.

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Nikon recommends formatting the card in the camera before doing the update. I used 1 GB Lexars and the upgrade was a breeze. You might try to use only the 1 GB card and put the download to the root of your C: drive, the run the unzip utility by double-clicking the .exe from the Explorer or any File Manager. Drag and drop "a".bin or "b".bin respectively directly to your card from the "Firmware" folder created under the root of C:

The reason for the error message is probably that your XP system is set up to have the temporary files folder deep within the silly ..\documents and data\...local user name ...\..application ..... .... .. structure. The download adds a new folder to the already long folder structure, then the unzip adds another below that and the end path probably exceeds the usual limit of 260-some characters.

6. Your message wasn't specific on this you may have already completed this, but... When you download the file from Nikon its in a zipped folder. On your PC you need to unzip so that you end up with the A101 and B101 files (don't have the exact names but you know what I'm getting at). Then move the A101 file to the CF card, install in the camera, upgrade firmware........repeat process for B101 file.

I just upgraded my firmware and used a PC running XPPro per the above and.....no difficulties.

Where exactly does it fail?

7. It fails when I try and copy the file to the CF.

I have tried to extract directly to the CF. I have tried to copy and paste. I have tried send to. Tried drag and drop.

I put the files in the root of C, I tried them in the D2X Update folder.

Russ

8. Success!

I have no idea why. It gave me an error message but when I tried to copy via a different method the files were on the 2 different CFs

Computers, don't you just love them.:rolleyes:

Actually there was a problem. The files were corrupted on the CF. Changed to a LEXAR and it worked perfectly.

Russ

9. That is EXACTLY why you should, every once in a while, do a full format on the card on your PC. If you would like all the gory details, you can search for my post on DPReview a couple of years ago which includes information directly from Nikon as well as card manufacturers. Or, you can drop me an email and I'll dig it out of my archives for you.

The short version is that the in-camera format is equivalent to a Quick Format, which only erases the FAT, one of several reasons that recovery software works so well. A Full Format and even a Scan once in a while will also recover any sectors which may be going bad, which can happen on CF as well as hard drives. This is one of several reasons why every 1GB card does not have exactly the same number of bits available for write.

One thing to watch out for is to use the appropriate type of format, XP now defaults to FAT-32, which is what the bigger cards and new cameras like, but older ones need FAT-16, which is available via the drop-down.

10. Glad you got it to work. My next suggestions was to reformat CF and/or redownload file as it may have been corrupted.

11. Card Reader incompatibility??

My San-Disk cards have never liked co-operating with my Lexar card reader. I cannot drag-n-drop between the San-Disk/LexarReader and my PC_with_XP_Pro without getting time_out messages and other error messages. I can, however, do a Copy from PC to San-Disk by highlighting the filename, clicking the Copy icon at top of window and then clicking the Paste icon on the San-Disk drive window. Good luck with this....

12. This to me sounds like a bug in the Lexar driver Andrea,

Just a suggestion:
    Have you looked for updated drivers on lexars site?

cheers Andreas

13. Hi Andréas --

Appreciate your suggestion, but I did go look for an updated Lexar driver for my Lexar Multi-Card Reader. It seems that because my PC runs Windows XP, there is no separately available driver on the Lexar site. XP is expected to know how to drive this particular card reader I guess !!

My problem most likely has something to do with whether_or_not a particular CF card is "USB Enabled" or not. The SanDisk cards are not and the Lexar cards are. But since I have the workaround of using icon/menu based Copy/Paste to move photos off my SanDisk Ultras, it isn't all that necessary to do drag-n-drop. I just have to remember not to start a drag-n-drop on a SanDisk because it induces time-outs.

Our Names: When I signed up for Nikon Cafe I requested the login "andreab". Then I saw your "andreasb" login !!!! I immediately wrote Patrick, and he kindly changed my login to "annedi", my other favored login, to avoid confusion. :biggrin: