Fill Flash Advice From Dave Black

I've seen his articles before and they're informational. This one was interesting as well. 7 Speedlights!! Thanks for posting this and reminding us, Frank!

Thanks for the link. It's helpful to see the different setups and the results. I'm still debating whether to buy the Creative Lighting DVD or not, this link is definitely cheaper :)

Roy

It's unbelievable if you look at the results that these top pro photographers are able to get. On the other hand it's interesting to see the set-up that they use; they create the perfect exposure with 7 sb 800 flashes !!! Looking at a photo I always try to figure out how the picture is put together, the techical background of it, but seeing this is just ... I don't know how to call it ... it's just a whole different league.

Thanks for the link Eng45ine, great to see this.

Kind regards

Johan

The more I read about photography on various sites, the more that I realize that I don't know much about photography.

Very interesting setup, Frank. Thanks for posting this.

It does raise a question for me that I keep forgetting about......what kind of clamp/mount are people using for off-camera speedlights??

In the article, he mentions the Bogen 175F, which looks like a nice solution, but pricey (~$50 at B&H).

Are there alternatives that people use??

I've tried several kinds of mounts with cold shoes that attach to the top of light stands......but none I've tried holds the SB800 securely. I just haven't discovered the right animal!

Best wishes,

David

Kevin Scott said:
David, I use one of these from bhphoto http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

They seem to attach and hold the speedlight very securely. On my background stand, I'm just using the included speedlight foot and attaching that to the background stand.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks. I have a couple of that exact item. But on mine, the speedlight will not lock down.....it slides loosely in and out of the mount whether or not the locking lever is engaged. Not secure at all.

Is there some trick to making the speedlight secure on this?

Best wishes,

David

eng45ine said:
The more I read about photography on various sites, the more that I realize that I don't know much about photography.

Frank,

I know what you mean, it's the same with me :lol: But on the other hand, we probably learn each and every time when we go out and take a bunch of pictures. The most important part is that we have a blast when we are shooting pics. I consider myself very lucky and being alive when I can do that 8) Especially when you can take nice pictures for somebody else and put a smile on her or his face. Basically, that's all what it is all about for me. You put in lots of effort to make your images as good as you can and if they get appreciated it's just great.
But I guess you share the same ideas and opinions, you look like a very optimistic person to me and who loves photography (loves with capital letters :) )

I guess we may consider them as the best of the best :shock: 8)

Kind Regards

Johan

Hey Johan,

I could not have put it any better. We are all fortunate to be able to get out and enjoy shooting...just for the fun of it. I have never enjoyed photography as much since becoming a member. I have learned so much, but I have also become more diverse in my shooting because of what I see the members post. A year ago, I would have never been interested in shooting things like flowers or landscapes because it never really interested me. The same goes for portraiture...but I am getting braver and wanting to give these things a try.

Thanks. I have a couple of that exact item. But on mine, the speedlight will not lock down.....it slides loosely in and out of the mount whether or not the locking lever is engaged. Not secure at all.

Is there some trick to making the speedlight secure on this?
Instead of using the hotshoe connector that came with the clamp, unscrew it and screw on the one that came with the SB-800. Works like a champ.

Hi David,
I just went and checked mine. Tight as a lock. With the speedlight lever locked, mine won't budge. When disengaged, it's still pretty snug. Maybe I just got lucky with mine but both are the same. They're very sturdy and secure on mine. Maybe try what Jeff suggested.

Jeff and Kevin,

Yes....the solution with that mount is definitely to use the thin base shoe mount (AS-19) that comes with the SB800. That works well.

I just thought I was missing something about the metal cold shoe that comes with the mount. Kevin, it amazes me that yours fits snug; mine is so wobbly that the speedlight would slide right out if you nudged it or tried to tilt the angle. (And I have several of those mounts, so it's not just one defective one. Maybe they changed the design since I bought mine a couple of years ago....)

In any case, I'm glad yours works well for you. And I'm all set with the jury-rigged solution Jeff mentioned.

Thanks a lot guys,

David

cwilt said:
David,

You could use these.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I use them for holding the speedlights on my softboxes and they hold very well. This holds an SB600 above my daughters head when used as a hair light so I am picky about it.

Charles,

Thanks.....I hadn't seen that one. Looks like it would do the trick quite nicely, especially with the tightening screw, as shown.

For the time being, I think I'll make do with the Nikon AS-19 base shoe attached to the mounts I have.

But I might pick up a couple of those Strobo ones sometime as another alternative.

Thanks again,

David

Latest threads

Top Bottom