Fill Flash at 75 Yards and Beyond

Sounds crazy huh?!? Got to carry a stadium light and car battery in the old kit bag. I do very little post processing but have been using Paint Shop Pro (PSP) since version 5. There is a new Fill Flash feature with PSP9 that seems to work quite well. It pulls details from the shadows without touching the other areas (Backlighting feature does opposite but I have not played with it). The Fill Flash settings range from 1-100. I made up 5 samples in increments of 10 at none, 30, 40, 50, and 60. Otherwise the samples have been resized to 480 on the short side, Clarify 1 and USM 1.00/50/5. I understand that Photo Shop has the same feature in some manner. At any rate it was something to do this morning as it is raining and I'm sitting here waiting for an email from B&H.

No Fill Flash
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fill Flash 30

Fill Flash 40

Fill Flash 50

Fill Flash 60

I used increments of 10 to rapidly show the changes so it is important to know that the actual increments are by 1 for more control. Otherwise, the photo itself has only local interest for the "Doll House" historical building known to area residents.

Larry,

I often use this feature in PSP 9.01. I've been useing PSP as far back as I can remember (at least V4), but I'm strongly contemplating moving to PSCS because of all the sophisticated plug-ins that are available. I don't believe the PSCS is better than PSP, but I'm developing plug-in envy / lust.... :oops:

Thanks for your tutorial.

Regards,

Frank

Lol, yes 9.01! Great to get auto updates! If I did more than barely snap my files in place I'd probably move to PS too. The gallery and magazine use PS and do the post processing. But they say they also barely touch my photos to snap them in. I go with the old saying that less is best. For what its worth in case anyone is wondering, I only shoot JPEGS.

Larry Gleason said:
Sounds crazy huh?!? Got to carry a stadium light and car battery in the old kit bag. I do very little post processing but have been using Paint Shop Pro (PSP) since version 5. There is a new Fill Flash feature with PSP9 that seems to work quite well. It pulls details from the shadows without touching the other areas (Backlighting feature does opposite but I have not played with it). The Fill Flash settings range from 1-100. I made up 5 samples in increments of 10 at none, 30, 40, 50, and 60. Otherwise the samples have been resized to 480 on the short side, Clarify 1 and USM 1.00/50/5. I understand that Photo Shop has the same feature in some manner. At any rate it was something to do this morning as it is raining and I'm sitting here waiting for an email from B&H.

Larry,

You did a fine job with this picture. I have PS and PSP 9 and Elements. I use PS more often but I know PSP and Elements both have fill flash. I need to keep remembering to use this feature when my pictures turn out dark. Thanks for reminding me Larry.

Melissa

Catz said:
Larry Gleason said:
(Backlighting feature does opposite but I have not played with it).

Larry,

You did a fine job with this picture. I have PS and PSP 9 and Elements. I use PS more often but I know PSP and Elements both have fill flash. I need to keep remembering to use this feature when my pictures turn out dark. Thanks for reminding me Larry.

Melissa
Melissa. You're welcome. I did use the Backlighting tool on Steve's golf shop photo to cut the blast from the window at setting 40 after applying the Fill Flash at 70. It's kind of neat to be able to use both tools on the same photo when both highlights and shadows are involved. However, unless there was an extreme need, I'd be throwing shots like this in the garbage. I bracket my work shots so that I'm certain to have a useful one that requires little or no work. But as we all agree, better to work with an under exposed shot than one over exposed.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom