Fill Flash at 75 Yards and Beyond

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Larry Gleason, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Sounds crazy huh?!? Got to carry a stadium light and car battery in the old kit bag. I do very little post processing but have been using Paint Shop Pro (PSP) since version 5. There is a new Fill Flash feature with PSP9 that seems to work quite well. It pulls details from the shadows without touching the other areas (Backlighting feature does opposite but I have not played with it). The Fill Flash settings range from 1-100. I made up 5 samples in increments of 10 at none, 30, 40, 50, and 60. Otherwise the samples have been resized to 480 on the short side, Clarify 1 and USM 1.00/50/5. I understand that Photo Shop has the same feature in some manner. At any rate it was something to do this morning as it is raining and I'm sitting here waiting for an email from B&H.

No Fill Flash
    [​IMG]
    Fill Flash 30
    [​IMG]
    Fill Flash 40
    [​IMG]
    Fill Flash 50
    [​IMG]
    Fill Flash 60
    [​IMG]

I used increments of 10 to rapidly show the changes so it is important to know that the actual increments are by 1 for more control. Otherwise, the photo itself has only local interest for the "Doll House" historical building known to area residents.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Larry,

I often use this feature in PSP 9.01. I've been useing PSP as far back as I can remember (at least V4), but I'm strongly contemplating moving to PSCS because of all the sophisticated plug-ins that are available. I don't believe the PSCS is better than PSP, but I'm developing plug-in envy / lust.... :oops:

Thanks for your tutorial.

Regards,

Frank

3. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Lol, yes 9.01! Great to get auto updates! If I did more than barely snap my files in place I'd probably move to PS too. The gallery and magazine use PS and do the post processing. But they say they also barely touch my photos to snap them in. I go with the old saying that less is best. For what its worth in case anyone is wondering, I only shoot JPEGS.

5. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005