Fill Flash Question - Critique Requested

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, May 5, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Last night I posted some shots from a local animal park. I really liked them, but on closer examination, I noticed a recurring problem with my shots. Basically the faces were dark compared to other areas in the image.

I'd like advice and constructive criticism on the shot below, especially with regard to the exposure on the face. Note that this image has already has the gamma bumped up considerably, and other processing to bring out the face. It was worse than this in the original.

Here is my example:

[​IMG]

What could / should I do to improve my acquisition in shots like this one?

Thanks!!

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I like this shot, and perhaps changing the face/light would detract from the impact it has now.

Spot metering would not help because the rest of the shot would be washed out.

Fill flash, if diffused and soft enough might be enough to make a difference.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Something I learned from Yves' shots,

While normally you'd use a -Ev on the SB, when shooting in bright ambient conditions, you actually need to go to a + Ev comp on the SB.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Frank,
    You haven't said if you did or didn't use fill flash. I'd guess that you didn't. A little pop of fill would help. I usually use -2.3-2.7 for starters and adjust to taste. A Better Beamer or the like will get you the extra range you need. I don't agree with using + fill flash ratios, unless you intend to use it as a main light source. I've always preferred the natural look, in this case, I think a touch of fill would add light to the shadow areas around the eyes and put the catch lights in the eyes.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bay,

Thanks for your reply (and you to Steve). I did not use flash on these shots. It was very bright daylight, and it never dawned on me. After seeing these shots though, I realized that I was mistaken not to use it.

I am a little confused as to the terms that you (and Steve) are using. I have used my flash just a small amount, but I am aware of all of the modes, and the use of EV comp on the flash (and cam). I'm just not clear which EV comp that you and Steve are referring too in your responses. -EV on the flash and + EV on the cam?

Could you be a little more specific for one that is a little slow?? :lol:

Thanks,

6. Hi Frank,
    It's sometime hard to get close to animals to use the on camera flash so in most cases it may not help. The SB800 has a great reach and the SB600 will help out with what I think you might be needing. Hope this helps.

Pete

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pete,

Thanks for the feedback. I have an SB-800, and a Better Beamer. Getting close to the animals was not the problem here. We had to move the truck continuously because they kept chasing us around the compound, thinking that we were going to feed them. Several of these shots were in fact taken at the 70mm end of the 70-200VR. 8)

Thanks again,

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flew,

Check the help files on CS, there is a fill flash option , and I don't right off remember where it is.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale,

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'll look for it.

Still though, the D2H doesn't really take too well to areas that have a luminosity of less than about 50. Any attempt to bring out shadow detail usually is accompanied by noise as well.

What I really need to do is to get the exposure right in the first place. :?