film and developing

Hi, film folks -

At one time I was into MF folding cameras, but I've been using digital for years now and don't expect to go back. I have a bunch of folders that I'm going to sell, but I want to check them out first.

I've been out of the film mindset for a very long time. I'm not looking for the best quality or for a certain look. A couple of my cameras are probably worth in the hundreds if they work properly, but some are probably only worth in the tens. I'm looking to inexpensively buy some 120 film, take some test pictures and get that film developed as inexpensively as possible. I probably don't even need the film scanned as I just need to see if the camera moves film, exposes and focuses properly and I can use a loupe to check that out. I suppose scanning would be nice, though, in case I actually take a picture I like.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what film to get (and where) and where to get processing? Thanks.

DAB

Freestyle or B&H for film and Walmart for cheap development. Walmart will send you prints and a CD but no negatives. Crazy world we live in now. For a little more money yo can send your film to many labs. B&H also has mailers or Adorama.

Where do you live?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Amir. I live in New Jersey

OK, googling around, I found Dwayne's - http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/color-neg-processprint.html. They charge $3.99 for processing of 120 C-41 film and another $2.99 for scanning (4.5 mb files).

The only C-41 film I found at B&H was Ilford XP-2 Super 120 Black & White (Chromogenic C-41) Print Film (ISO-400) - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/153927-REG/Ilford_1839649_XP_2_Super_120_Black.html . $4.49/roll.

Also, googling around, it seems as if Walmart is an iffy place to get 120 film developed - lots of horror stories.

Does this sound like the right way to go about doing this? For the cameras that don't have high market value, I can try to use one roll for three cameras.

DAB

OK, so I have a refrigerator/freezer in the garage that we keep mainly for extra frozen food. We almost never use the refrigerator. I took a look in the refrigerator this evening and, besides some old 35mm and 4x5 film, I found the following 120 film!:

Fuji NPZ 800 expiration 3/03 - one roll

Fuji NPZ 800 expiration 3/06 - 3 rolls

Kodak Portra 400 UC expiration 10/04 - 3 rolls

Kodak Portra 160 NC expiration 10/03 - 1 roll

Fuji Neopan Acros 100 expiration 9/03 - 1 roll

Kodak Tmax 100 B&W expiration 11/03 - 3 rolls

They are all in their unopened foil wrappers. The obvious question is, can I use any of this film or are they all garbage? If it's a matter of the color being a little off, I don't care - again I just need to test film handling, focus and exposure.

DAB

Oops - just also found one roll of Velvia 50 expiration 2/03.

I guess I should Google before asking questions here, but I'm so used to loads of knowledgeable people here....

I found this thread (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=132139) with lots of comments about using outdated film. The answer seems to be: use it. Possibly shoot at a lower sensitivity (e.g. shoot at ISO 50 for ISO 100 film). Or don't, and make any corrections in Photoshop.

I think I'll just start shooting and see what happens - I'll try the ones where I have 3 rolls first, since I can shoot one of each, see how they come out, and then make adjustments the next time I shoot.

DAB

DAB, where in New Jersey are you? You can buy film at Unique Photo in Fairfield NJ and get it developed there also. Their film prices are competitive and they have a decent selection.

Expired film that has been in a freezer: use as new.
If not, it might be weird. You're sort of on your own.

Thanks everyone.

Ray - I actually work in South Orange. I know about Unique, but when I checked their website, it said nothing about film developing. I just called them up and they do develop 120 film at $3.00 per roll, $10 with scanning. If I want something scanned later, it's $1 per frame. So I will definitely use them.

The only film I have that they will develop is the Kodak Portra and the Fuji NPZ. They don't develop slide film and don't develop black and white film that's not C41.

You can always send your E6 film to Dwaynes or North Coast Photo Services. My son has been quite happy with Dwaynes and I use North Coast.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom