Film body on the way, questions and help needed

Well, I hold all of you in this group responsible for posting all of these great film images. I came across a deal on a mint Nikon F4 that I could not pass up, and will arrive later this week. Now reality is setting in, and I have not shot a roll of film in 15 years.

I am wanting todo some B&W flower shots (macro and others ) for my wife as a surprise. Any suggestions on film would be greatly appreciated. man, I feel like a kid at christmas!

Thanks for the help.

Rodney

Rodney,
Given your description, I assume you want some vintage/romantic look on the pictures.
I suggest you try Adox CHS, 25 or 50 ISO. Get it from Freestyle unless by some miracle there are still some sold locally to you.

This film has the loveliest tonality that I've seen compared to the other B&W films. Tri-X is fine if you're looking for the gritty journalist kind of images :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose you plan to digitize the images. How? Scan the film youself, let a shop scan the film for you, scan the prints or something like that? :) Scanning is very tedious at first and semes to require a lot of effort to get it "right".

You can't effectively use lenses without aperture rings in F4, so you probably need to use the 50 & 85mm lenses. AF feature in F4 feels pretty feeble, so I used a K screen with split image rangefinder & surrounding microprism... and focused my photos manually.

Why B&W? Wouldn't colorful flowers look nicer in ... color? There are many nice color films still left (RIP Kodachrome), like Ektar 100, E100G/VS, Elitechrome 100 etc. Also some old stock of Sensia may be available, altough that film is discontinued I think.

Anyways, for "retro" look some traditional grain film like Kodak PlusX, Agfa APX 100 or Ilford FP4+ may work fine. Add a traditional developer like Kodak D76 - you can buy it in 1L kits so you don't need to do that much at once. Otherwise for finer grain go for Tmax 100, Fuji Acros or Delta 100.

ISO100 is enough for shooting when sun is up in the sky. After/before sunset or with tele lenses, or indoors, or shooting sports where you need faster shutter speeds etc. faster films are nice.

I see no point trying some variable quality film like Rollei, ADOX etc. first. You may get a bad batch (not very uncommon) and be disappointed with the results. Same goes with developers, better use something proven and common like D76, Xtol, Rodinal etc.

I see no point trying some variable quality film like Rollei, ADOX etc. first. You may get a bad batch (not very uncommon) and be disappointed with the results. Same goes with developers, better use something proven and common like D76, Xtol, Rodinal etc.

Not sure what do you mean by variable quality?
The point is to get a different look than Kodak or Ilford.
Have you tried ADOX CHS film?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom