Film is not dead

Interesting film not being dead. Bet the folks who lost their jobs in Rochester NY wish that was true for them. :(

Film is no more dead than oil paints are. It has become a form of artistic expression. Film for picture taking and snapshots is however dead.

Ask the new generation about film cameras, and they will say, what is film o_O.
I remember those days vividly, they are long gone, remember going to the store to pick up some Fuji or Kodak film:snaphappy:.

...Film for picture taking and snapshots is however dead.
And therein lies the rub. The huge volumes of film and print processing that was the amateur market has gone due to the digital influences.

As a real world example the Pope visited Manchester in 1982, at that time I was setting up and servicing many photographic laboratories professional and amateur. The anticipated film volume for that one week for one amateur processing lab I was attending was 1,000,000 negative films (mixed sizes) which was about a little more than double a normal weeks production year round - in the event the anticipated figures were exceeded by a small margin. No one really had any idea at that time just how much the move to digital would impact the sales of film and print media - the lifeblood of Kodak, Fuji, Agfa, Konica etc at least then.

In spite of the younger generation who have never processed film now becoming aware and some starting to appreciate film, the days of the early 80's and before the volume of film produced will never return. And the film coating plants that probably cost millions to build and run may remain but will not be generating the income that they once had and perhaps future investment when required will not be forthcoming.

I do hope that film will continue but expect it to be a vastly reduced choice of product and processing support and be the domain of the interested amateur and those seeking a different artistic media, such as gum bichromate printing on toilet paper :p

There are some very serious and seriously good professional photographers that refuse the move to digital of course and there is a small hope that they can persuade manufacturers to produce more product - but that market is still very small and it is going to cost

Kids don`t know what records are either. Only 15% of the population can operate a manual transmission car, probably less now.

Fountain pens, typewriters, shoes with leather soles mostly gone. Decent shoes cost $500. Narrow widths are like hens teeth. At some point I will have to get custom made shoes.

Wool sweaters made with long wool strands so they don`t pill. I have some from the 60`s that are still good. New stuff is trash.

Whats poloroid ?

Gasoline that is not loaded up with alcohol. My new car was bought partly because it is flex fuel which I will not use until I have to. Congress people think they are engineers and they are not. Must be some other reason why they vote this junk in.

Levis were jean and all jeans were Levis.

Tapered shirts. Now they are tapered, just the other way.

Ask the new generation about film cameras, and they will say, what is film o_O.
I remember those days vividly, they are long gone, remember going to the store to pick up some Fuji or Kodak film:snaphappy:.

Good luck! You'd have to get them to lift their faces away from their "devices" before you could even ask them.
And then, with their appalling lack of knowledge about anything they can't read in 140 characters they couldn't give you an intelligent answer anyway.
If film is dead, I must have missed the memo.
Its all I shoot and I'm doing just fine.
Robert

A few months ago I went out and bought some film, and ran it through my old Minolta x-700. Using the camera was fun, and brought back some memories. I liked how small and light the camera was. It was also cool to have everything you needed right on the camera without any menus to deal with.

Then I decided to buy a Yashica 124G because...... I don't know why really. So I bought it, and ran a few rolls of 120 film through it. Between buying the film, and then having to get it developed and waiting a week, I quickly remembered why I like digital. Lol.

It's cool to use film now and again, but it can be pain to have to buy film, having to wait for it to be developed, and it does get to be expensive too. I can't imagine people who grew up with only digital ever wanting to do much with film.

The final annoyance for me, is that you can't really do any of your own post production work easily. Yes I could scan it and then edit, but to do that you have to get a decent scanner, and it's just another hoop to have to jump through. It's 2 weeks before all that is done.

I finally found a Kodak Medalist II in really great condition. An awesome camera, but it uses 620 film. I have to re roll the film from a 120 spool to a 620 spool, but the results have been worth it. I have a Nikon D700, but the film cameras are more fun.

Golf must be dead, too...... because I don't play it.

If film is dead, I am too. I shoot 35mm, 120 and 4x5.

Well I have a Leica M9..two Nikon F2, Nikormat, FE2 and a 4x5 and a full operating darkroom with 5 enlargers.
Not totally dead, but needs surgery to stop the bleeding.

Well I have a Leica M9..two Nikon F2, Nikormat, FE2 and a 4x5 and a full operating darkroom with 5 enlargers.
Not totally dead, but needs surgery to stop the bleeding.

Film got released from the hospital 5 years ago and has been recuperating nicely. We now have instant film again, "point and shoot" 4x5, Ilford's ULF promo......

I started shooting film back in the late 60's. I run maybe 3 or 4 rolls of film through my F6 yearly. I'd like to say it brings back old memories, but in those days I never had a camera remotely resembling the F6. Not even my F3HP. The F6 just feels like a solid brick, and the metering cannot be fooled.

4559409461_f4ab336302_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom