1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Film photography on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by malfayu, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Now, ever since my F3 arrived, I think i have completely fallen in love with it.... looking through its viewfinder just makes me wanna chuck my D200 in the bin:tongue: Now my problem is that film actually costs money, and money is something that a student is very short of (especially after my recent purchases..... )

So, my question is are there any cheap options in using film? Now i know that as long as i have film, i can do black and white for essentially free because i can develope them myself, using my photo society's chemicals and paper:biggrin:, the problem is shooting colour, which we can't do in our darkroom and so i want to save as much money as possible doing this. Is it a good idea to buy expired films and shoot them? also what's the best colour print film for the price? i love fuji reala but i can't afford that stuff for shooting with every day!! it's also a bit slow, i'm looking for something 400 speed and above, any recommendations?

2. Superia can get as low as £1 a roll from 7dayshop, and is pretty nice.

I wouldn't worry too much about using expired film - although I'm probably due a disaster, every roll I've processed so far has been fine - expiry dates are very conservative, and as long as the film is stored properly, it'll be fine.

You can process c41 yourself, but temperature control is absolutely critical to a good result. Personally, I don't think I can handle the stress, and I send mine to a lab :D 

3. The only really cheap way to shoot lots of color is digital. Although shooting color negative can be inexpensive, I find it difficult to get satifactory results compared to transparency film.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I agree with Lynn on this issue Malf. If you are looking to minimize your cost with color shooting, digital is the way to go. Doesn't matter what you do, film is expensive!

5. Gray Fox

Gray Fox

Jan 12, 2007
    London Ontario
    If you want to shoot film, and see the results "on the cheap" try slide film. I know you specified print film but you will learn faster on the slightly less forgiving slide film, and pay somewhat less for processing. As you have a D200, you may also have a scanner. If the scanner has a slide adapter, you are in business. Prints and enlargements can also be made from slides if an image warrants it at the local lab.

Be prepared to have a pile of shots that get tossed, that is the cost of the learning curve with film. The delete button is a round container at the end of your desk.

Enjoy film, it is great.

6. Yeah i think i'll shoot slides from now, seeing as i've just gone back home and discovered that i have about 10 rolls of velvia lying in my draw, i've compltetly forgotten about them since in got my DSLR, now i've got the perfect reason to use them, it's like having found found 10 rolls of film for free!! they expired in october 2006 though but i guess it shouldn't matter too much.

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Man, I don't know. My film days had me spending $7/roll for Velvia and then $6/roll on developing at a pro lab....$13 for maybe 2-3 keepers. Film is expensive and the main reason I sold all my film gear 4 years ago.

8. Gray Fox

Gray Fox

Jan 12, 2007
    London Ontario
    If you come across any more film and want to save it for later, drop it in a freezer bag and leave it in the freezer. Time virtually stands still. Give the film about 4 hours to warm up before opening the package and use it. The regular packaging is all that is needed, but the freezer bag keeps you from fishing at the bottom of the freezer for the one roll that escaped.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.