'Film Scanner?'

Hey everyone...
I've been seriously thinking about picking up a FM-10. Problem is, funds are NOT in abundance and I don't see any viable quality scanner that fits in my narrow budget...(and I do mean narrow :redface: :biggrin: )

Am I out of luck :confused:

I can't get myself to fit an expensive film scanner on my budget just yet either, so I paid $50 for my Canoscan 4400, and although I probably wouldn't recommend it for any other reason, I'm getting good use of it for my B&W stuff.
I quite enjoy that it was so cheap.

Real Name
Chris
Am I out of luck :confused:

No way are you out of luck. The options for using film are greater now than ever before, thanks to digital technology. If worse comes to worse, just shoot C-41 film (color or black and white) and have it scanned at a 1-hour lab. The scans will not represent the best quality that film can deliver, but it will get you going in the exciting and unpredictable world of film photography!

The right scanner to get depends on your application. If you are shooting for the web, then you can get one of the 'under a hundred dollar, dedicated film scanner' devices such as the Wolverine, or the Plustek. On the other hand, if you intend to print large, you will need to spring for a thousand or so to obtain a Nikon scanner. By large, I mean up to three and a half by five feet. If your requirements are 6"x9" to 12"x18" then a midrange flatbed like an Epson (one to six hundred dollars), will work fine. You pay for increased acuity at higher resolution, and thus large print sizes.

The other option is to get a darkroom set-up. Then it gets wild.

I am not sure how narrow your budget is, but, back in the summer, I picked up an Epson V500 for $160 shipped. It has been a fabulous scanner and I would be willing to say, based on the research of other scanners prior to my purchase along with the actual use of the V500, that it represents one of the best values in flatbed scanners with film capabilities. It also has the capacity to scan medium format film, should you ever want to try that.

As Chris mentioned, you are not going to obtain the same quality as a $1000+ dedicated Nikon film scanner. With that said however, you are also only paying a small fraction of the price but, arguably, getting a larger fraction of the performance.

Whatever you choose, good luck with it. Film is very addictive and a lot of fun, especially if you get into doing your own development.

+1 for the Epson V500.
That is what I use for my Hasselblad medium format film. I am not prepared to spend the $$$ on a dedicated MF film scanner and for relatively little money the V500 produces excellent images.

I also use an Epson V500. I use it only for medium format, since I have a Minolta 35mm ScanDual IV, but the Epson is a really great scanner for the money. If you check the Epson web site, they regularly have in house sales on refurbished scanners for a fraction of the new price. And these scanners are backed by the full Epson warranty.

JPS

I just ordered a Reflecta Crystal Scan 7200 (dedicated for 35mm.) and should receive it by monday or tuesday :smile: !

From what I read, it competes a bit with the Plustek OptikFilm 7600, but it seems slightly better...

Their price is quite fair, for "specialized" scanners...

IMHO, the best URL for scanners reviews is http://www.filmscanner.info/en/ReflectaCrystalScan7200.html !

:wink:
J-P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shop around on Craigslist and used office equipment stores. I picked up a working Canoscan scanner for $1 (one dollar), and a working Epson 4970 with all the accessories for less than $20.

Latest threads

Top Bottom