1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Film SLRs From Nikon

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by iShoot, Jul 16, 2008.

1. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    What would be the choice from you guys for a Film SLR, I would prefer a Nikon, because I have lenses for it already. Would a N90 be a good choice? AF would also be nice with the camera.

2. nbmro

nbmro Guest

I've chosen the N80. still expecting the UPS guy :D 
    I've opted for this one because I found it resembles very much with my D70s

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi don-

i'd second bogdan's recommendation of the N80 over the N90 as you get more AF points and can use VR lenses. if you have around $300 to spend, you can get an F100, which gives you better AF and a better build over the N80.

have you considered a manual focus body? there's good bargains to be had with the old MF bodies, and their build and reliability are a big plus.

ricky

4. Don, I agree with the others: N80 or F100 depending if you prefer "versatility" of a grid-on demand and built-in flash OR sheer performance (F100 af is much faster than F80)
    F80 has a little advantage in low light because of the focusing sensors changing colour (black/red) under different light (which F100 doesn't do, leaving a moment lost when passing from light to shadow)

5. ssloansjca

ssloansjca

May 17, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    If you want AF and can afford it, get an F6. It totally rocks, it's like a film D3. Otherwise, if AF is NOT important, get a good used FM2n with an MD12. Or, go real retro and look for an F or F2 with a plain prism finder or a photomic head if you need a meter.

6. Whoa there, wait one minute...:wink:
    'A D3 is like a digital F6' would be more appropriate I think!:biggrin::wink::rolleyes: 

7. N80 - cheap, good quality, ability to use your lenses, very similar to your D80. This one's a no-brainer!:smile:

8. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    N80. Cheap, reliable, uses all the VR lenses. :smile:

9. F4 or F5...I have both and love these guys. I have not used any of the other Nikon film cameras so can't comment on them bt you know the deal...they are all good!.

10. The N90 will not allow you use either VR or G lenses. The F4, F5 and F6 are rather on the large and heavy side!

11. Hem...
    well, I have an F6 and of course it's the best camera I've ever had... but I got it for a very good deal.. not everyone can get one this way.. if you shoot film only now and then (not like me) F80 or F100 is the best choice you can have

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    N80 (same as F80) would be my recommendation. The F# cameras are nice, but the 'sensor' in any film camera can be changed out at will, so it's only the bells and whistles that you get for going with a better camera. And as far as I can tell, the N80 has everything needed, and it's all in familiar places if you shoot with a mid-level (D70 through D300) DSLR. Plus it works with all the modern lenses. I don't know, but I think the F100 is also compatible with manual focus lenses like the D200 and up are.

The F5 is also a nice camera, I have one as well, but as pointed out above, it weighs a TON! I keep mine bolted to a copy stand!

13. At one time I owned both a D80 and N80. I found the metering with the N80 to be more consistently accurate than that of the D80 - so much for progress, eh!

14. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    F5 if you want good AF. F100 might be an alternative, but besides the lower price, I don't see any real benefit.

F3HP+MD4 if you don't mind manual focus only. Best of the old mf bodies, IMHO.

FM2n if you want something really small&nice (mf only).

F4s if you want an mf body with gimmicks (like rudimentary AF, matrix meter, exposure modes,...). I've considered one on and off, but probably will stick to F5+F3, as the F4 is really somewhat in between of those two.

Wouldn't care about the N90/80/other models. I've got an F90X (sold as N90s in the USA), haven't used it in years. AF on that is only rudimentary compared to the F5 (or current D series models).

15. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany

I used to shoot slides (mostly Velvia) in the F5 for years. Almost always in Matrix metered aperture priority mode. At least in my memory, it practically always used to nail exposure pretty good. If I compare that to how I need to fiddle around with adjusting exposure after looking at the historgram on my D200 nowadays in only slightly difficult situations, I don't know what to think of that...

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I find that the N80 autofocuses just fine. It's no speed demon, but it does as well as my D100. The F5 autofocus is incredible, but I rarely need that except for shooting the kids. It's so fas that small AF lenses (like the 35, 50 or 85mm) focus faster than AF-S lenses.

But the F5 weighs nearly three times what the N80 does. And still costs about three times as much. And it takes the same lenses and film as does the lighter, cheaper camera. If you are going to be sport shooting on a tripod, or wild animal shooting on safari, or copying documents in a high speed environment, then the F5 is a better choice. For a carry around camera, I find the N80 with either a small prime, or my 24-120vr lens to be ideal.

PS, I have no complaints about exposure of B&W film on the N80. The F5 just nails slide exposure in Matrix mode. It's scary!

17. photoman1955

photoman1955

Jan 28, 2008
    wa.state
    I had an N80,it didn't hold up to the rugged use I put my cameras through (dust,snow,rain,fourwheelers,snowmobiles and mountain roads).I have two F100's and I wouldn't have anything else.It dose cost more but it will last a long time.

18. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    FM3a if you want a really nice classic camera.

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'd agree on that, but I don't get the price they get... ??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.