Film suggestions for a New Orleans trip (Decision made!)

As a teacher, coach, and administrator, I've always encouraged my students and faculty to stop waiting around for the next challenge and challenge themselves. I think it's time to put my money where my mouth is.

I'm going to New Orleans for a few days in August for a bit of relaxation before school begins. But this time, I'm only taking my F4 and a few manual lenses. I haven't decided which lenses I'm gonna lug along, but the 35/2 and 75-150 will definitely be among them.

My biggest problem is that I'm not sure which film to take along. I'll be carrying 8 rolls - and only 8 rolls - on the trip. Most of the shots will be street shots in the French quarter and in the Marginay. I'm sure I'll take along a roll of Arista 100 and a roll of CN400 for a few B&W shots, but when it comes to street shooting in color, I'm at a loss. I always loved the look and colors of Kodachrome, but since it's gone, I'm not sure what to use.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would for sure carry a couple of rolls of maybe Trix or acros for the cemetery and maybe go for a couple of rolls of Velvia for those bright colors around town

If you are talking color negatve film Ektar 100, Portra 160, Portra 400 and perhaps Porta 800 for low light. For slide Velvia 50 or 100. And if you can find it some Ektachrome E100VS.

For color negative, I def. second the Portra 400 motion. But it seems that street shooting in NO cries for brighter, more vivid colors than even the Portra can give you... I'm not a film expert.

I get too much pink and purple for my liking from the Portas and Velvias.
I've been out of the game a while, but Ektachrome 100, with or without the VS, never disappoints for colour. NOLA provides the neon. You can always play around with saturation and adjustments to the scan, but in my experience you can't tone down the pinks and purples without losing all the "vivid".

Ektachrome 100 certainly captures blue :)
5180763287_1c58743c17_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Interesting suggestions. I'll definitely look into some Portra 400 (and maybe even 800). I'll also check out Some Velvia 100. With the Arista and 400CN, I think I've got the B&W stuff covered.

I agree Tormod: I've got a ton of Velvia 50, but I've never liked the way it renders fleshtones. Maybe the 100 is toned down a bit. I'll do some research if I can find any film-only forums.

If anyone else has any advice, I'll certainly listen.

Real Name
Chris
Interesting suggestions. I'll definitely look into some Portra 400 (and maybe even 800). I'll also check out Some Velvia 100. With the Arista and 400CN, I think I've got the B&W stuff covered.

I agree Tormod: I've got a ton of Velvia 50, but I've never liked the way it renders fleshtones. Maybe the 100 is toned down a bit. I'll do some research if I can find any film-only forums.

If anyone else has any advice, I'll certainly listen.

Yep - portra 800 rocks. The color saturation is smashed down, and the grain is standout. Plus, like it's 800...

After looking at the samples posted in this forum and on a couple others, I made my decision and placed an order with Freestyle. Here's what I ordered:

Kodak Portra 400 - 2 rolls
Kodak Portra 800 - 2 rolls
Fuji Superia 400 - 1 roll
Kodak Ektar 100 - 1 roll

In addition, I'll take a roll or two of Velvia 50 and BW400CN.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Latest threads

Top Bottom