Film vs. article

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Beezle, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Interesting stuff from the local paper here:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/17/DIGITAL.TMP

I know I will swing back around at some point, but I just don't take the digital images I shoot as seriously as the film images. I still see lots of digital images that I like, but for my own work I much, much prefer film. As much effort as it is.

I am probably slowing myself down so far as learning to be a photographer goes, but that's all about what sort of photographer I dream of being.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    An interesting, if flawed, article Ed. I'll bet you know the person who said they were crushing film, eh? I don't really see that digital is crushing film. Digital is just growing by leaps and bounds while film is not.

I know two young (24 yo) photographers who shoot experimental stuff, one in digital, and one in film. The digital photographer uses all kinds of filtration, layering, masking and re-coloring effects to achieve high impact, colorful pictures. The film photographer focuses on smaller subjects, and makes smaller prints, with a lot of emotional impact.

They represent a microcosm of photographers in general. Digital photographers tend to emphasize the medium of digital - they mentioned the process used in the article, of combining multiple exposures into one picture. Film photographers also use process effects, but film photographs emphasize the subject rather than the process, which usually stinks anyway. (Literally)

From my observation, film photographers try to push the envelope of representing their subjects according to a personal vision, more than do digital photographers. I expect this will change as digital matures. But for the present, digital seems to be mostly concerned with a true and exact representation of reality or fantastical creation of unreal images.

Oh, I bought Olivia a digital camera for her last birthday. She loves it, and photographs everything. But she never wants to download the photos to the computer. She looks at them for a few days on the LCD, then erases them. Interesting.

3. I dislike digital when it comes to fully express myself. Yes, photography is a great therapy.

4. Seems that way to me too. So much effort to try to produce perfect colors. The only standard I fuss over these days is an attempt to have an idea what an image will look like on other people's displays.

I find that with mine too. And lately Ben is more into making movies with the small Fujis we have.

But he does seem to get what film is at least. Not that he asks to shoot it.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Sometimes it seems almost a competitive sport. Look at bird shooting. One fuzzy feather or a single pixel over 253, and you lose a whole point. For publication in a Audubon calendar or such I can appreciate chasing perfection. But as an expressive medium, there isn't much chance of differentiating yourself from everyone else if there is a single standard of perfection to strive for. But then again, not everybody needs to express something personal through photography.

And I just have to give up on color portraiture. Being colorblind, I will never get it right. I'm glad the true colors of photography are black and white! :Wink:

6. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    the medium is the message

"The medium accommodates itself to change, and artists do, too. I've seen some very beautiful, rich, deep prints made by digital means. But the work can never be better than the artist who makes it."

This article appeared on page E - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Personally I discard about as much film as digital, thats the reality for me.
    About 90% of what I shoot regardless of the medium is discarded.

7. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    Considering I am of the younger aged people here, I can speak for the teenager/young adult group. We have grown up with the instant gratification of Ddigital, so shooting film just seems stupid for most. I am really like film now. This week I have/will be printing in a pro darkroom, which is really great. I have done stuff in the past, but this is much better than what I did before. It is really cool to see the image come up on the paper in the developer. THat being said, I couldn't work with it as my primary medium at this point. Printing is fun for doing very little stuff, but working with digital is easier IMO. I made 2 really great 8x10 B&W prints today that have a quality that I have and never will get from digital.

Just my 2 cents.