FilmFest

If you think WE are nuts with our gear and images, you should hang around some film makers for a while.

So, I was asked to shoot the local film festival and little did I know before signing on the dotted line I would be running all over town for 4 days shooting 8-10 events. When all was said and done, though, I had a great time and met some very interesting people from all over. You ever tried talking with people from Macedonia that don't speak English very well and you don't speak -- well, whatever that is they speak? :biggrin:

Here are a few outtakes from some of the events in an attempt to give a little flavor of the festival.

It all started with a "get to know everybody" mixer at a local patio bar. Surprisingly enough, there was a lot of film making talk going on. BTW, see that sky -- that funky yellow sky? That's not blown out. That's smoke -- from the fires in Georgia and N. Florida -- and that's several *hundred* miles away. Amazing.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then we also had some breakfast meetings. This one in a 120 year old home -- great venue

View attachment 97683

and food to match the venue -- very tasty. My compliments to the chef.

There were also film maker workshops

View attachment 97685

like the one presented by this guy from NYC

and, surprisingly enough, film making was discussed! :biggrin:

There was a private reception for the film makers at the local art gallery

View attachment 97689

and, surprisingly enough, film making was discussed.

View attachment 97690

And just what would a film festival be without showing some films? The old movie house downtown has been renovated by the local community theater group and is used for the film festival screenings.

View attachment 97691

The local TV news did a few interviews

View attachment 97692

(they missed their chance by not interviewing *me*) :biggrin:

They had a bluegrass band on the courthouse grounds (these kids are GOOD)

As well as an outdoor movie screening on the old courthouse grounds.

Whew -- that's a bunch of images. I better save the awards ceremony shots for another post if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Phil

Nice shots Phil. You did a great job. The guy in shot No. 7 with the cap backwards is a relative of mine. His name is Rex.

Nice shots Phil. You did a great job. The guy in shot No. 7 with the cap backwards is a relative of mine. His name is Rex.
How cool is that -- I popped and posted a relative of yours! It truly is a small world, huh! If I have my "people" straight -- and I may not since I met and talked to so many -- it's my understanding he is a promising young film maker and the guy talking to him is his mentor from LA (no, not Lower Alabama but the other LA in California). :biggrin:

Thanks for your comments, Rex. I appreciate them. I will be turning over some 200 images to the CVB Film Commission on Tuesday. It was a fun shoot.

Phil

Phil, what a great fun job to have!
Yes it was, Dude. As usual, the people were more interesting to me than their product -- the films. To hear their passion for the art and learn of the problems faced just to put a few minutes on screen was a learning experience for me. A lot of effort as well as cash is expended.

Phil

How cool is that -- I popped and posted a relative of yours! It truly is a small world, huh! If I have my "people" straight -- and I may not since I met and talked to so many -- it's my understanding he is a promising young film maker and the guy talking to him is his mentor from LA (no, not Lower Alabama but the other LA in California). :biggrin:

Thanks for your comments, Rex. I appreciate them. I will be turning over some 200 images to the CVB Film Commission on Tuesday. It was a fun shoot.

Phil
That's right Phil. He is a talented young man in many ways. A great guy also.

The Awards Banquet

The culmination of the festival was the awards ceremony including the presentation of checks and trophies. It was held in a local auto museum -- a great choice because the venue itself drew a lot of interest from the participants.

and surprisingly enough, film making was discussed. :biggrin:

There was a cool little jazz band playing during dinner

and a few too many speeches made after dinner

View attachment 97698

and then the awards were handed out

and the "best in show" winner was VERY surprised when she won. There was even a tear or two. :cool:

View attachment 97700

"and the winnahs are:"

View attachment 97701

(Yeah, I know nobody asked to see them but I went through the trouble of uploading so I was determined to post 'em) :biggrin:

Phil

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom