Filter advice please!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jon H, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    Hello all,

A friend of mine suggested I pick up a polarizer filter for my D70. I tried using his polarizer on his Rebel XT and was amazed at what it can do. I'm pretty much an amateur and would like some advice on what kind of polarizer to get because I've discovered there is more than just one type. I'm looking for a Hoya 67mm filter (only because I already have a Hoya Skylight and have heard that Hoya makes good filters). The one that I'm currently looking at is a Hoya 67mm Moose warm circular polarizer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Any and all input/advice is very welcome! Thanks in advance. =)

-Jon

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jon,

First of all, welcome to the Cafe. As to a good choice for filters, I'm probably not the best person to answer, but I will try. I recently got a very good book by John Shaw on nature photography and his advice was this; before choosing and using a filter, understand what it is that you are trying to achieve. Almost all filters are going to cost you light, which in general is not a good thing. If you really need a warming effect, then by all means get a warming filter. If you are trying to reduce the effect of reflected light (i.e., taking pictures of fish at the local pond), get a polarizing filter. If you need to reduce the large difference in light levels between the sky and foreground in a landscape shot, get a graduated ND filter. Just make sure that you have an objective.

Hope this helps some. Maybe the experts will chime in here. :wink:

3. Hi Jon,

I am far from an expert on filters, but I found a lot of interesting information at this website for "The Filter Connection"
    http://www.2filter.com

Work down off the main page and there is a lot if information comparing the various brands and the subtle differences between them. Stuff Like this:
    http://www.2filter.com/faq/multicoatedfaq.html

I felt worth a look and their prices seemed low on the ones I picked.
    Bob

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't understand the advantage of using a warming filter vs raising the color temp. a few hundred degrees (or as needed.)

5. A warming polarizer is a dual action filter that is mainly used to enhance the sky. I would think that a polarizer without the warming element would be more useful. As Chris pointed out there are ways to increase the warmth of a scene both in camera and in post processing. If you were shooting film the warming polarizer might be more useful.

6. Again...Welcome to the Cafe...I use ND filters and find they work well...I also use Polarizer filters too and this might be the way to go ever though I have to say the warming filter really turns the sky a pretty blue.

7. I too have had this same problem, However buying a polarizer for each lens diameter you have can turn out quite costly. Especialy since one needs to buy CIRCULAR POLARIZERS when one uses a DSLR and these are much more expensive than the normal polarizers

I solved this problem by buying the P system (which are the large format filters) from COKIN. Have a look at Cokin.com.

It mainly consists of a filter folder where you can slide different filters in.

I then bought the different adapterrings according to the different lens diameters of my lenses. These adapterrings remain fitted to my different lenses, in such a way all i have to do is slip the filterholder from one lens to the other.

That way i only have to buy a filter once and have a fit ALL. This greatly reduces your costs.