Filter Collision?! 17-35 AFS

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AFS, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Hi.
    When I got my 17-35 AFS, I decided I might as well get a UV filter to protect it, considering the shallow lens hood.
    Well, for those of you who have one, you know the 17-35 has a front element that moves out a bit from being flush with the rest of the front of the lens at 17mm, retracts fully at 24-28mm, and is flush at 35mm.
    Well, I mounted the UV filter and everything seemed fine. No resistance putting it on, zoomed well etc.
    Well, to make a long story short, I thought I noticed a very very slight decrease in zooming speed at 20-17mm going from tele to wide....it oculd have been my imagination, frankly, as taking off the filter seemed to make no difference.
    However, one time the filter was a bit loose, and when i zoomed to 17mm I heard a 'tk' noise. I tried it a few times and it happened some of the time. No noise when tightened fully.... The filter screws down a good amount of the way, but I don't think it uses all of the threads on the lens. I also noticed the filter element is very far back on the threads, but I'd think it would be designed to give clearance.
    There is no evidence of impact or damage on either element, as far as marks, etc.
    Can anyone tell me if i'm experiencing a problem? is this normal? Should I return the filter and get a different brand? Is it actually colliding or is it something else?
    Panic!
    Thanks in advance.....

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi harrison-

i have a nikon L37C on my 17-35mm AF-S and there's no interference between the filter and the front element. not sure if there's something wrong with your lens or your filter though. do you have any other filters you can try, or can you go to a photo store and try a different filter?

ricky

3. I could try getting to another store, but there are two main ones here in Miami and the nearer one is the lower quality one. I wanted to get the original Nikon but I asked the guy for one he would recommend with the 17-35, and he didn't hear the part where I said the original nikon if possible.
    I don't think its a lens problem, it is absolutely stellar so far. I have one other filter, a Tiffen 81A but I have to find where I put it.....
    Thanks Ricky.

4. Like Ricky, I have the Nikon L37c on mine. No problems here.