1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Filter/Colorize - is it just me?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by jim hughes, Jul 25, 2008.

1. jim hughes

jim hughes

Jun 12, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Am I missing something, or is this tool just a bit - obscure? I select it, and it floods my photo with orange. I can't find a way to get rid of the orange. I see an eyedropper with which I'm supposed to be able to pick a color from my photo - guess what, all I can pick is orange.

The online Help is - no help. It says nothing about the orange fill.

Why the default orange fill? It was the same way in 1.x, except I remember that if I did some dance with selecting the + brush at the right point, I could actually use the tool. With NX2, I can't seem to do anyting with it.

2. Jim,

If you want to paint any color in the spectrum, click on the orange rectangle to the left of the eye dropper. Doing that brings up the color picker, which is fairly intuitive.

If you instead want to select a color within the photograph, click the arrow to the left of opacity. A slider will appear. Move it all the way to the left. Click on the eye dropper. Click on the color in the photograph that you want to select. Notice that the rectangle that was orange is now the color you selected.

You're probably good to go from there on. I hope so because I don't know what I'm talkin' about beyond that point. :biggrin: Seriously, I've never had a reason to use a selected color.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  3. I've had a few shots where burned out skin highlights could be more or less repaired with a sampling of the skin color adjacent to the burned out areas. Kind of like skin-grafting :biggrin: The trick is not to leave any scars.

It isn't ideal, but when adjusted in opacity and feathered correctly looks pretty good. I'll post a before and after if there is any interest.

4. One of the best uses of the colorize feature is to mask or paint the area of the photo where you want to do a "selected" adjustment. Say you want to sharpen just the eyes of your subject and nothing else. With NX the use of colorizing and masks is much less intuitive to use, with NX2 the masking is much simpler.

What you may want to try is this. When it has colorized the entire screen and you're thinking, "why?", then click on the "fill/remove" tool (square icon with arrows at the corners) with the "-" option, then click on the image. That will remove the colorizing. Next, click on the paint brush and the "+" and you paint orange on a part of the image that you want to alter (say sharpen)

Once you've painted orange the areas to be sharpened, then change that edit step from "colorize" to "sharpen"... now you as you add sharpening, you are adding it only to the areas previously painted.

Not sure that helps, but it may help you understand a good use of colorize.
    Regards,
    Peter G.

5. You're right, Peter, but beginning that process with the colorizer adds two unnecessary steps. You could instead begin with USM, paint with the brush tool as you mentioned, adjust the sharpening parameters as you mention, and you're done.

The two steps of applying the colorizer and removing it with the fill/remove tool don't add anything to the process other than unnecessary clicks.

6. I sort of agree and sort of don't, depending on the situation. My main point was to illustrate a possible use of colorize and thought it might help the OP.

The only advantage of the "colorizer first" approach is that you can clearly see what you are going to sharpen later and sometimes I prefer to do that first (e.g. when I want to be really precise on what I'm painting/adjusting). If you use the brush in sharpen mode immediately, it's not always clear which pieces of the image you've actually painted and you may end up adding clicks in order to "show overlay" anyway. So I basically do it both ways, depending on the situation though I follow your method probably 80% of the time, maybe more with NX2.

Now that I'm using NX2, I vastly prefer its way of including the "selection" drop down in each edit step and being able to "show overlay", ( turning it on and off) and I also prefer the green overlay color to the default orange of NX :) . They did a great job with that new feature.

Regards,
    Peter G.

7. I never thought of that! You're right that if you show the overlay (I always do) you also have to follow that up by hiding the mask. That's two clicks that I didn't take into account.

I actually didn't like the green color. I changed it to hot pink.

8. Wow, I never thought of changing it but that's a good point. Not sure what I'd change it to, but certainly the orange is out!

On another note, this forum is great. I've been looking for an "NX forum" which isn't crowded with those darn Aperture, Lightroom and CS3 users :wink:

9. Jim, be sure to mention our separate NX forum to Rich Gibson when you see one of his posts, or simply PM him. (His real name is also his screen name.) He's the moderator that came up with the idea and persuaded the powers to make it happen.

The primary reason I changed the color to pink was because it was during the period that I had both NX and NX2 on my computer. I didn't like the green color in NX2 so I changed it to the orange that I had become used to using in NX. I would accidentally load NX and not realize it, so the pink color became the helpful differentiator. Now that I've been using the pink, it seems to offer more contrast with other colors in the image better than the orange.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.