Filter for 50 1.4

I just got a 50 1.4 and for some reason or another I really really like it except for one thing. It has large amounts of CA. Is there any filter which can reduce this? I take to many pictures and dislike wanting to post process the CA out.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Filters won't reduce CA, unfortunately. You only alternative is to consider another lens, have you tried the 50/1.8?

Stop the lens down two stops and CA will probably go away. I know this isn't what you wanna hear, but sometimes it isn't appropriate to shoot at f/1.4.

According to this review the 50/1.4 has very low CAs at wide apertures, increasing slightly as you stop down. By comparison, the AF 50/1.8 is slightly worse at wide apertures, improving when stopped down. They also test the AiS version of the same lens, which has the same optics. It does slightly better so that suggests there is some sample variation.

I guess the same could apply to your AF 50/1.4. Might be worth trying another one. If your lens has a filter, try removing it. I suspect a cheap filter could make CA worse.

Hi, Andy,

I have used the 50/1.4 as one of my favorite lenses for awhile now and I love it. But... wide open it is soft and has a kind of foggy, dreamy look. According to all the tests I have seen (with samples posted), this is typical. It sounds like you may be experiencing the same thing. But once you stop down to f/2 or smaller, it is crisp and clean and snappy... a wonderful lens. The same is true with the 50/1.8, except it does not get as sharp as the 1.4 until about f/5.6.

I use a Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital UV(0) filter mounted all the time. I have never had a problem that I could attribute to the filter, although I've certainly created some myself!

I've also discovered that the f/1.4 DOF is so shallow that it is very difficult to work with. Hard to get good auto-focus and hard to frame until you work with it for awhile. I nearly always get better results around f/2 or 2.2 and smaller. It took me awhile to learn this. Hope your learning curve is shorter and shallower. But stick with the 50. It is a wonderful lens!

Hope this helps.
God bless.

Doug

Latest threads

Top Bottom