Filters: B+W vs. Hoya vs. Tiffen

Here is a link to a test review of UV filters by various manufacturers. Interestingly, the inexpensive Hoyas came out on top.

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html

Wow, thanks for that link! What a vast difference between the top-rated Hoya HMC UV(0) and the lowest-rated Tiffen UV Protector. It was especially nice to see that the moderately-priced Hoya performed better than its more expensive competitors.

A great source of filters and information is The Filter Connection: http://www.2filter.com/

The sell only filters and have been doing so for a very long time. Their prices and especially their service is phenomenal!
Thanks for that link, Nick, their prices are incredibly low. I need to replace Tiffen UV filters (that came free with the lenses) on two of my lenses with Hoya HMC UV(0) filters, and I'll definitely be buying from them.

thanks for the info and link. They also tested polarizers on the front page, but they didn't test Nikon.
I need a 77mm circular polarizer that won't vignet on a 12-24 f4 Nikon.
I would appreciate anyones suggestions.
Thanks

thanks for the info and link. They also tested polarizers on the front page, but they didn't test Nikon.
I need a 77mm circular polarizer that won't vignet on a 12-24 f4 Nikon.
I would appreciate anyones suggestions.
Thanks
This may be something you would have to try out at the store. Certainly the thin ones are made for that use but you lose threads for a lens cap

This may be something you would have to try out at the store. Certainly the thin ones are made for that use but you lose threads for a lens cap
Hoya makes a thin mount CPL that I have used with pretty good success. To be honest, I can't really recall whether I specifically tested for vignetting, but I don't recall ever seeing any with it.

If you like aluminum rims that stick to the aliminum lens threads so they don come off easily and a gel between to pieces of glass that separates over time making the filter useless, I definately recomment the Tiffin. Dyed glass is superior

I repurchased all my Tiffin series with custom B+W series because of all the problems. They cost no more than similar size screw in and were custom made.

But everbody has to learn the hard way. Tripods hae the same thing. You will buy and fight 5 junkers before you realize what a good one is.

If you buying it to protect a lens form water spray, it is ok. Other than that, use a lens cap and keep yur paws off the glass and learn not to clean it and them how to clean it if you must

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom