Filters? cheap? highend?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by WHISTLING_WINGS, Oct 14, 2005.

1. K here's a sort of poll, I usually always put a filter over my front element for protection, and nd filters can come in handy, so should you buy tiffen, B+W any of the camera manu Konkin ? I know for a 80-200 up here a B+W goes over a hundred bucks. And much the same for Tiffen, and Nikons, Conkin is to small and I am not sure if they do larger format that would have enough to cover for shooting, but would not protect, I know what I have alwats done! so what do you all think?

2. I only use filters to fill a need and therefore only use Nikon filters. I use Singh-Ray for my graduated ND filters in a Cokin holder.
    Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I think that to put cheap filters over expensive glass is generally false economy. I no longer use UV filters as 'protection' as I find they do tend to increase flare (especially on WA lenses) and I try to always use lens hoods as additional protection anyway.

My favorite filters are Singh-Ray. Not the cheapest by any means, but superb optical quality. B&H and Nikon filters tend to be of high quality, but I would not use Tiffen or Cokin.

4. Don't buy cheap filters. I use only Nikon and B&W filters. They cost more, but why put a cheap filter on a $1,500 lens.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I believe that the glass in any filter is about the same as any other filter. Coatings make a difference, but most filters come in various coating schemes. The main difference between a $35 Hoya or Tiffen and a $100 B+W or Nikon filter is not the glass, but the metal. Cheaper filters usually are in an aluminum ring. Don't drop them or the glass will break, or the threads bend. The more expensive filters use brass rings. The biggest advantage of brass rings (besides drop resistance) is they don't get stuck together.

6. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    No filters for me unless its a polarizer, and if I have to put one on its from Hoya.

As far as lens protection goes.. if I need it, my lens hoods do the job.

7. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    I use Heliopan for screw in filters (circular polarizer, etc), and Lee filters for special effects (Grad ND, colors, etc). Like others have said, scewing inexpensive filters onto expensive lenses leads to numerous problems. The biggest problem for me with inexpensive filters (e.g. tiffen) is they tend to get stuck on the lens.

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Regarding graduated ND, I learned it the hard (expensive) way. In other words, a bought an inexpensive Kenko outfit (filter holder, adapter ring, plus some graduated NDs). Although I did take very good care of the filters, they are all scratched by now. In addition, it's trying to adjust the filter in front of the lens. These ND simply don't work for me.

What I'm looking for is a metal ND holder perhaps with flat steel metal springs to hold the filter in position. I would much prefer glass filters. I'm not familiar with other ND filters and holders, perhaps you can enlighten me. Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist?

As for other filters, I have a B&W CP and some Hoya and B&W UV filters, although I don't use them that often. The only lens I usually have the UV (protective) filter in place is the 18-70, which is currently my stroll around, drag along all-purpose lens. I keep the filter in place because it's easier to clean, and I have to clean a lot with my 4 year old kids grabbing for the camera every now and then.

9. rsimms

rsimms

Apr 30, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Lee filters

Look at Lee Filters
    I believe they have what you are looking for (metal holder/rings and glass filters)

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks, will do.

11. I used to religiously "protect" my glass with a UV filter. I have stopped that practice a few years ago (still have a bunch of unused UV filters in my closet :biggrin: ) and I have never scratched a lens in even the smallest way. Just be careful, that's all. I do get the feeling that I get max. quality from my lenses this way, without any obstruction whatsoever.

The only creative filter I sometimes use is a circular polarizer.