Filters for 12-24

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by DBrim, May 31, 2007.

1. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    This has probably been asked before, but since the search strips out terms such as "UV" and "IR", I could not find anything.

Anyhow, very soon (two weeks! Can't wait!), I am going to be purchasing a Tokina 12-24 lens. I have the 18-55 nikkor kit right now, and I'm always hammering on the 18 end, wishing I could go out further. This lens will be a huge asset to my photography, I think.

Now, since it's such a wide lens, I'm trying to find good filters for it. I understand that they need to be thinner in order to prevent vignetting. I was looking for some reccomendations. I'm looking for the best value here, not necessarily the best quality. I'm a student on a budget!

For polarizers, I'm considering the Nikon CP II. I've heard great things about it, but it's expensive. I understand the risks of polarizing on ultra-wides, but a polarizer is still rather important to my photography.

For UV filters, I'm still in the dark. Hoyas are almost as expensive as B+W, and I have no idea which *model* to buy.

I shoot a lot of IR, so an IR filter is pretty important to me as well. Since I don't have the time or money to get another camera and have it converted, I use filters. For my 18-55 (and 50), I have a Hoya R72 IR filter. However, the same type of filter for 77mm costs a whopping $200 on Amazon! Ouch! Does anybody else know of any other good options? I'll bite the bullet and get it if I have to, but I certainly don't want to.

Thanks for your patience with my questions
    -Daniel