1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

filters with tokina 12-24?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by slappomatt, Mar 25, 2007.

1. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I just got this lens for a song here on the forum, THANKS DABO!! and I already had a 77mm uv lens on my sigma 70-200 so I tried that one as I was wondering if it would vinette and I noticed the glass on the lens when you zoom moves in and out. I put a peice of paper inside the lens-filter to see if it would actually touch and IT DOES!

I would warn everyone with this lens to be very carefull what filters you use on this lens. its when you zoom all the way to 24mm that the lens sticks out the most.

2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Thanks. I just bought this one and was thinking about which filters to put on it. If you find something that works well, please let me know.

3. I got the ultra thin B&W CP filter for this lens. Works well! No vignetting. Comes with it's own lens cap.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2007
  4. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    what I do want is to be able to put a lens cap on with the filter still in place. so that rules out the filters with no front threads.

5. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I'm using an Hoya Super HMC Pro-1 on the Tokina 12-24. No glass contact, no vignetting, and takes a Nikon center pinch cap nicely.

6. JoeG

JoeG

Nov 2, 2006
    Tyrol, Austria
    I use a SLIM filter on it - works great. no contact, no vignetting

7. gugs

gugs

Feb 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I use a slim UV filter, no contact, no vignetting...

8. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    the filter that I tried was a hoya hmc 77mm uv filter and if you zoomed it all the way in just past 24mm it would contact.

9. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Well that's rather irritating. One would think a Hoya filter would fit a Tokina lens without issues as Tokina owns Hoya!

Here's contact info for THK, Inc., the U.S. distributor for Tokina Co.:

support@thkphoto.com
    800-421-1141

Hopefully, they can offer some insight here.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The Nikon CPL is semi-thin but still has enough front thread to use a normal lens cap. This CPL works quite well with the Tokina 12-24 in my experience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.