Filters

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jamesf01, Apr 9, 2007.

1. jamesf01

jamesf01

Feb 20, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I am in the need for some Lens filters (77mm) and would like some advice on which ones and which type. Been looking on B&H at the General Brand 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter. Who makes them and are they any good. What filters would you recommend to get and why?????

2. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I like the Hoya Digital Pro1, especially in the 77mm size because it is thinner but still accepts a lens cap. The best deals I have found are at besteastern on eBay, but 2filters.com is close in price, and ships quicker.

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I would pay the extra for a good Hoya over a no brand one personally, especially if you're using on a wide angle lens (like the 12-24mm) where a ticker filter could give you vignetting.

4. James,

The quality of the glass is a big issue for many, as well as the quality of the filter elements themselves. B+W, Singh-Ray, Heliopan, Hoya Pro's are generally "can't go wrongs". I like B+W personally because of the consistent quality and I don't notice any image degradation with my shots. Most companies make both slim filters for super wide angle lenses (that usually have no front threads, and push on caps) and regular filters. Consider whether or not you will be stacking filters, or find the push on caps before you buy the slim filters. They are also usually more expensive.

Within brands, there are also lots of options (Multicoated, Kaesemann, etc...). I'm not too well versed on the non-B+W brands.

5. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    I like Hoya a lot and made the mistake of buying a cheap brand circular polarizer, it may work but no where near as well, extremely suddle change to sky/reflections, my Hoya brand makes dramatic and obvious changes. I think however you can get away with the cheaper brands for a UV filter. - Jeff