Fin Whale Rising

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    A few nights ago, I agreed to let a friend interview me for her local cable access show. I found out that she used to be a judge for juried photo competitions. While looking through some of my whale photos, she came across the following one and said it is a prize winner....
    Now, where is the nearest contest????........

2. WOW, that is an unbelievable shot!!! :) :) :) :)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Seems all I can say today is

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

Next thing im going to say is moderator take all my pics offffff here. they are not good enough. :<((((

God I wish I could shoot like you guys.

Going to my corner now.

Thanks for sharing
    Great Job

Gale

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Definitely a winner. Incredible colors. I thought they were all blue, grey and black.... :?

Regards,

Frank

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Gale,
    Leave them up. Much of what you see here has to do with talent, experience and luck. This shot was more luck. Being there is required, but this is a 1 in 50 boat trip shots, even then, if I had been looking in the opposite direction, I would have missed it. (The Naturalist didn't even see her until I had 3 shots off, and this shot was long past!)
    Frank,
    Coloration varies. The fin whales are all dark on the left side, lighter and mottled on the right. It is thought that the coloration of the right side helps corral fish and other food. The green is really white, tinted green by the nutrients in the water.
    Thanks for the comments!

6. celia bule

celia bule Guest

Just beautiful, your photo. You can try photos-of-the-year contest. They have special galleries to Nikon and Canon users and you can always submit a photo. These galleries don't have a particular theme.
    I feel like the rest of the posters here: your photo is a winner

7. A really great photo!!

It is my understanding that many ocean critters are counter-shaded, that is dark on top and white below so that they look dark like the bottom to things above them and light like the surface to things below them. This is a plus for both the hunter and the hunted.
    The fin whales were a bit of a mystery with the white on the right side until they noted that when hunting they rolled on the side with the right side down. Given their size they are rarely the hunted, they still need the counter-shading only when hunting.
    All this is from memory, source obscure.
    Bob

8. Oh yes, I remember this one from DPR - unforgetable image!

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Bob,
    There are several reasons that fin whales were not hunted extensively, the predominent one is their speed. The nickname greyhound of the seas applies, as when motivated they can make over 30 knots. Not many modern whaling vessels, if any, can match that, let alone the older boats. Their size (second only to the blue whale) doesn't really enter in to it, as blues were hunted almost to extinction. I've seen them use their chevron coloring on the right side to herd and corral fish by swimming in a clockwise circle, ever tighter, then diving, reversing direction (using the plain, dark side for camo) and coming into the middle of the school to feed. Nature usually gives all the critters the resources necessary and the smarts to use them. The only exception to the last part seems to be some of us humans.....

10. Awesoem capture great timing and fantastic colors I think your friend is right enter it at bytephot.com they have weekly photo contests

11. Canyonlu

Canyonlu Guest

What an amazing shot! A prize winner is right....the unique subject and gorgeous clarity and color!

12. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Superb shot - not often you see one that good of a whale!

Neil

13. Colors are fantastic on this whale shot. Nicely done.

14. WOW!!! Whatta... :shock: that's not only a contest winner... your image has stolen my heart... Simply Perfect! :D

15. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, all. It was a rare shot on a rare, calm day. No debating on how to make it better, it's nature and as good as it gets.

16. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks. During the season, I try to get out every weekend, weather permitting, but it is still up to nature as to what the conditions will be and what the whales will be doing and where. I saw this one coming, mostly because I happened to be looking in that direction and saw the tell-tale green glow in the water getting brighter. I've missed more opportunities than I've captured, but that's the way it goes. It's tough when you can't see them coming, nothing technology has can predict where or when they will surface. We do know they will have to come up eventually to breathe, but with dive times over 30 minutes, these fin whales could be 15 miles away in any direction!