1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Final Baseball for the Year

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Markb, Sep 4, 2008.

1. This weekend was the end of the baseball season for the Oakville A's. After achieving a silver medal (second) place in the Central Ontario Baseball Association Bantam 'AA' Championship, they were moved on to the Ontario Baseball Association Championship Series. For our non-North American members (and the Yanks too), this would be the equivalent of "State" finals. At this level there is no National Championship.

We had a so-so season, playing primarily against 'AAA' teams, yet maintaining a bit of a .500 average for games won. So going into the provincial championship, a 'double knockout' (loose two games and go home) tournament, we thought baseball might be over Saturday morning (the championship started Friday night).

Oops. The boys started to win in the one season that counts...playoffs. They lost their first game and then came on strong.

I'm still processing things, what with work getting in the way, but a few shots to whet your appetite...

On Saturday, Evan was doing a good job of connecting, while Alex worked on his timing:

And he was up to receive his medal at the end of the tournament:

On Sunday, Graeme was told to make a sacrifice fly and came through:

original.
    NIKON D200    ---    70mm    f/3.5    1/2000s    ISO 200

A few more to come, hope you enjoy.

2. nice shots
    i can't wait to see more
    i know that the end of baseball seasons is BITTERSWEET for you

these are very nice

3. Well Mark, if you're going to go out you might as well go out swinging! These are very well done, and a bit bittersweet too I know.
    And I have to say, as a former coach, that Graeme's form in swinging to connect for a sac fly is very well done. Most players will know, if they're coached properly, that a deep fly ball, or home run happens because of a slight downward cut at the ball. This imparts a back spin on the ball which causes it to carry deeper and not to "pop up" like an upper cut will do most of the time.
    Both his form and your capture show this off very well. :smile:

4. Hey Mark,

I love the last one. I'll echo Greg's sentiments ... I'd like to see more when you have a chance.

Take care,
    Brent

5. very nice Mark...what next?

6. Just one more sign that Summer is over.

Great pics Mark!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.