Finalizing my vacation kit...

So I've decided for my upcoming vacation to bring my D700 & D300S bodies and for lenses the 16-35, 35 DX, 85 and 300 f/4 (or 70-200 VR w/1.4 tc). How's that sound for a travel kit?

I'll probably bring one MB-D10 to share between the two bodies, one EN-EL3E charger, 4-5 batteries, 77mm circ-polarizer, 52mm close-up filter and a flexible Joby Gorilla Pod for a multi-purpose tripod. I'll be shooting everything from landscape, portraits, scenery, some sport action and video.

Or I could just bring a D300S and 18-200VR, but I don't think my shots would turn out as nice. :tongue:

How's that sound? I would leave the D300S, but I want the video and possible need for the 1.5 crop factor.

why would you bring 2 bodies on vacation. Seems like a lot of hassle. And you can lose the 35 dx and take another small prime. I would just take the D700 unless your going somewhere that animals are the main attraction

why would you bring 2 bodies on vacation. Seems like a lot of hassle. And you can lose the 35 dx and take another small prime. I would just take the D700 unless your going somewhere that animals are the main attraction
I always bring two bodies (D700 and D300) with me on trips. My rationale is that on vacation, especially places that I rarely visit, a back up camera is a must. I've had my D300 fail on me...and I would hate to be in a situation such as a sunrise at Monument Valley without a camera!

Glenn

So I've decided for my upcoming vacation to bring my D700 & D300S bodies and for lenses the 16-35, 35 DX, 85 and 300 f/4 (or 70-200 VR w/1.4 tc). How's that sound for a travel kit?

I'll probably bring one MB-D10 to share between the two bodies, one EN-EL3E charger, 4-5 batteries, 77mm circ-polarizer, 52mm close-up filter and a flexible Joby Gorilla Pod for a multi-purpose tripod. I'll be shooting everything from landscape, portraits, scenery, some sport action and video.

Or I could just bring a D300S and 18-200VR, but I don't think my shots would turn out as nice. :tongue:

How's that sound? I would leave the D300S, but I want the video and possible need for the 1.5 crop factor.
Jonathan,

Is this a working vacation or are you taking the gear for opportunities? Are you taking the wife & kid (infant/toddler)? I hope you have wheels. I remember traveling with my infant/toddler kids for a weekend trip to Grand Ma. We filled up the back seat and rear area of a Ford Explorer (car seat, booster seats, high-chair, diaper bags, food, toy bag, clothes).

Recently, I took my three kids (7, 9, 11) to NYC and did the touristy things (ESB, Statue of Liberty, Times Square). I brought the D300 w/17-35 but ditched it the first night in favor my daughters Lumix P&S. It worked for me and we all had a blast. My travel mantra is travel light, freeze at night.

I know you are a paparazzo so if you need it, you need it. But I think you can do just as well taking family shots with a lightweight P&S.

Just my $.02. :smile:

I guess it depends on the type of vacation. If I am taking a road trip then sure bring 2 bodies, but If I am backpacking around a south american country then theres no way I am taking a second body. I know you run the risk of something going wrong, but I bet chances are higher you get your gear robbed then your pro nikons failing

where you headed to jonathan?? i suggest you take your 24-70mm instead :biggrin:
I was considering maybe just a 16-35 & 70-200VR-II+1.4. I really want to bring the 85 though, because I'll have really awesome portrait opportunities. I also wanted to bring the 35 as a lowlight video lens for the D300S. I'm planning for another Mongolia trip and I'll be attending Naadam which are the Mongolian Olympics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naadam. If this were just a trip to grandma's, believe me I'd bring the 18-200 VR and be done with it! :wink: I'll also be spending time in the Mongolian countryside http://www.bluepeak.net/mongolia/countryside.html with cows, horses and sheep while sleeping in a tent. And yes this is also a family trip so the wife and baby are coming! :biggrin:

I was thinking of bringing the D300S because I'm thinking of doing a documentary while out there. I'm a pretty efficient packer, and I can fit all my clothes and gear in a pelican airport sized case and backpack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traveling overseas with family is tough, especially when you are a photog! Decisions, decisions. I go thru this every time when my wife and I travel to our home in Thailand.

Your lineup is fine, but I would bring the 70-200 and TC vs the 300 f/4. Given the olympic event you are attending this would seem, at least to me, to be more versatile. No way would I ever leave the 85 1.4 at home! All those colors in the costumes, it will rock. Besides the 2nd body I would bring a flash too.

Do you have a monopod? I use mine double duty as a walking stick/bat and camera plate mount with a swivel ball head. Luv it and never travel without it. This should all fit comfortably into a smaller backpack like the Mint Trekker, my favorite for travel, plus there will be space for other personal items too.

Have fun!

James

Still ONE KID, right?

If so bring whatever you want. :wink:

Next time the wife and I hit the Far East next year we'll have a 3 and 5 year old in tow, and it's pretty much gotta be one parent per kid, so minimal tolerance for excessive weight or camera gear. Will be bringing just my FF digital and f/4 mid-zoom, probably a 35/2 and that's it.

If you've got two kids, just your D300/18-200VR and 35/1.8.

I always bring two bodies with me. As for lenses, I would bring the 70-200 w/ tc over the 300. My travel lens are my 14-24 & 24-70. Sadly (due to space) I leave my primes at home.

sambru

In Memoriam 1957-2014
I guess it depends on what vacation means to a person? I used to bring a lot of gear with me, D300, 70-200vr etc. I found it to be a pain most of the time I justed used my 18-200vr and 50mm 1.4 the majority of the time. At the beach someone had to stay behind to watch the gear. So last vactation I down sized - just brought my D300, 18-200vr 50mm & I bought a Canon S95. It worked great when I didn't take the D300 it stayed in the hotel safe, the S95 could be left under the beach blanket and at night it was great we could go for walks and it fit in my shorts pocket, what freedom :)

My favourite lens during my vacation was the 10-24mm (on DX)... I was travelling by myself for the most part and photographing architecture and landscapes. I love the interesting perspectives ultra-wide glass can get.

For FX, I agree with Sambo.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom