Finally, a camera strap that I like...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryan Scott, Sep 28, 2008.

1. I just had to make it myself. I took an old Minolta neck strap(my D300's strap was just too pretty[and rigid] to use), cut it, removed the threads from the leather ends, and re-sewed everything shorter. It works great.

I've always disliked regular neck straps because of how much they get in the way while shooting and switching from portrait to landscape shooting. I almost bought one of the hand straps but decided against it because of having to take your hand out to shoot vertical w/ the grip. Most camera wrist straps are too light duty and often not long enough to reach from your wrist when shooting vertical. I searched everywhere for a strap like this, to no avail. I'm surprised no one makes one like this.

Sorry for the lousy iphone pics:

2897133594_36f4d1c579_o.jpg

2896289839_78421730cd_o.jpg

2896289953_91314c5497.jpg

2897133668_1d76903fed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  2. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    Nice idea - thanks for sharing.

3. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Great idea!

4. Brilliant! I will be doing this one.

5. Hi Ryan-Scott, I was just thinking of this, they seel very simliar things on ebay, grips that screw onto the tripod screw.
    THIS here on ebay, quite cheap at just under £6, including P&P.
    Either way, I like the idea of yours, and im sure youll find endless time using it, thanks,
    Tom.

6. Tom,
    That's the type of grip I mentioned disliking because you need to take your hand out of the strap to shoot vertically with the grip. I think it would be a pain and I'd end up shooting portraits by just spinning my wrist rather than using the grip, which I'd much rather prefer. Thanks though.