Finally a day out with the D300/16-85/70-300VR

I've been playing with my new gear for a week or so now, but it's only been around the house with the same old boring test shots. Finally today we were able to get out and I got to do some field shooting.

First - having come over from Canon I have to say that my shooting experience today, in general, was far more pleasing than my old 40D and whatever sack of glass I was lugging around. I also had not-one-single-OOF-shot all day. The focus system on this body is wicked - I love it :biggrin: Also, auto ISO is awesome. I just wish it allowed a higher maximum shutter.

Anyhow, I have just a few images I thought I'd post here taken with both the 16-85VR and 70-300VR. All images are straight out of camera and only cropped. No PP at all. Some 100% crops included.

_DSC0488.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC0488-C.jpg

_DSC0504.jpg

_DSC0504-C.jpg

_DSC0511.jpg

_DSC0511-C.jpg

_DSC0521.jpg

_DSC0521-C.jpg

_DSC0589.jpg

_DSC0590.jpg

_DSC0590-C.jpg

_DSC0617.jpg

_DSC0617-C.jpg

_DSC0641.jpg

Only the last two were the 16-85. I think it's a very good lens with a lot more positives than flaws. The only negatives I can gather from the 16-85 are the variable aperture-IMO anyway, could suppress flare a bit better and the wide end barrel distortion is a little excessive IMO. All in all a very good lens though.

The 70-300 is basically what everyone says. Very sharp up through the mid 200's, and at 300mm is softer and has a bit of CA - sometimes more than a bit... So long as you're not putting the lens under the worst conditions possible, I think 300mm wide open is decent for a consumer grade lens - and given the right lighting conditions it can be very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

EdinburghGary

I think the 70-300 is an awesome but of kit, I really do. I use mines across the entire range, and whilst I am not a pixel peeper, I seem to be able to get very sharp results regardless.

I still long for a 70 to 200 VR, but the 70 to 300 is doing me fine just now.

Gary.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Brian,

Great pictures! You have a good eye and what I think might be one of the best two lens kits for general photography available today.

I have the 70-300vr and am planning to sell off some older lenses to fund the 16-85.

Warm regards,

Brian,

Great pictures! You have a good eye and what I think might be one of the best two lens kits for general photography available today.

I have the 70-300vr and am planning to sell off some older lenses to fund the 16-85.

Warm regards,

Thanks, Bill :smile: I did have a lot of fun shooting yesterday with the new kit. Hopefully I can get out today since right now it's absolutely beautiful outside.

I do shoot my kids sports (softball,football,field hockey) and as long as it's bright enough, I actually think the 70-300 will hold up pretty well.

Nice set and thanks for sharing! I too have the 16-85VR/70-300VR combo and loved it on my D80. I just got my hands on a D300 yesterday and can't wait to see how it does with my lens combo. Thanks again...

These are great images. I'm considering the 70-300VR as a complement to the 18-70 for walking around. The 70-200VR is just a bit too heavy for this kind of thing.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom