FINALLY!! A decent mallard shot

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PGB, Sep 8, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Well, I think they are pretty good. Not as good as RR or Jfenton but for this Alabama boy these are the best I've gotten so far.

Hope you enjoy.

Thanks,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. That's a neat series that I'd be proud of. The details are great, with a perfect exposure. The blurry wings translate the movement and the strenght. My preference goes to #2 and #4 for that matter.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Patrick. I got some really, really great shots of his butt. :rolleyes:

4. Nice shots Patrick!
    I agree with the previous posts, but I personally just love the elegance of the last shot.

5. Come on Patrick, fess up, Ive seen these new fancy decoys :wink: Great job, beautifully done, when trying to photograph they sure are fast, the widgeons and teals are like racing cars. LOL................kudos!

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Good stuff all of them.

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks everyone. Fortunately she was coming in for a landing as was slowing down. I don't think I would have been able to get as good a series if she were accelerating.

Thanks,

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice series. I like the last one the best.

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Wow. These are great. The Mallards really scoot around. I know I have tried. Excellent exposures.

One general question for anyone.

What metering does one use for bird shots? I have been using Matrix and I was wondering if I should be using center-weighted? A lot of my exposures seem to be pretty influenced by the rest of the frame rather than the bird. Hence the question.

11. Dont be so hard on yourself these are excellent shots they are awesome these guys are tough as can be to track

12. This is a really nice series of shots Patrick. The first and last ones are my favorites.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jay,

I'm pretty sure that the bird master Ron Reznick teaches, uses, and recommends matrix. In some cases he also uses other settings, including manual, but for the most part, it's matrix.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I was using Matrix for these captures.

16. Patrick,

Sharpness is right on the money. Well done.

17. Great catch, those bird are so fast, it's not an easy job to photograph them.

18. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Awesome shots.
    Those smaller ducks are pretty darn fast when approaching landing. Also lots of time they like to abruptly change their directions. I have yet to get a good ducks in flight shots. Canada Geese are easier, they're bigger and more predictable.

--ricardo

19. Great shots. You don't have to be modest about these shots. I like the sharpness and the motion in the shots. Great work again.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus