FINALLY!! A decent mallard shot

PGB

Well, I think they are pretty good. Not as good as RR or Jfenton but for this Alabama boy these are the best I've gotten so far.

Hope you enjoy.

Thanks,

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's a neat series that I'd be proud of. The details are great, with a perfect exposure. The blurry wings translate the movement and the strenght. My preference goes to #2 and #4 for that matter.

Excellent shots Patrick. I got some really, really great shots of his butt. :rolleyes:

Come on Patrick, fess up, Ive seen these new fancy decoys :wink: Great job, beautifully done, when trying to photograph they sure are fast, the widgeons and teals are like racing cars. LOL................kudos!

PGB

Thanks everyone. Fortunately she was coming in for a landing as was slowing down. I don't think I would have been able to get as good a series if she were accelerating.

Thanks,

Wow. These are great. The Mallards really scoot around. I know I have tried. Excellent exposures.

One general question for anyone.

What metering does one use for bird shots? I have been using Matrix and I was wondering if I should be using center-weighted? A lot of my exposures seem to be pretty influenced by the rest of the frame rather than the bird. Hence the question.

JayR said:
Wow. These are great. The Mallards really scoot around. I know I have tried. Excellent exposures.

What metering does one use for bird shots? I have been using Matrix and I was wondering if I should be using center-weighted? A lot of my exposures seem to be pretty influenced by the rest of the frame rather than the bird. Hence the question.
Jay,

I'm pretty sure that the bird master Ron Reznick teaches, uses, and recommends matrix. In some cases he also uses other settings, including manual, but for the most part, it's matrix.

PGB

JayR said:

I was using Matrix for these captures.

Awesome shots.
Those smaller ducks are pretty darn fast when approaching landing. Also lots of time they like to abruptly change their directions. I have yet to get a good ducks in flight shots. Canada Geese are easier, they're bigger and more predictable.

--ricardo

Great shots. You don't have to be modest about these shots. I like the sharpness and the motion in the shots. Great work again.

Greetings,
VinceBeus

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom