Finally a delivery date....NOT!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bill-e, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've been waiting for my Sigma 150 2.8 macro since May and today I finally got an estimated delivery date of Aug 8th. I'm excited but Amazon is known to do this and then go back ordered again. I like to use Amazon because I get to use $25 rewards from using my Amazon card.

I've been able to wait it out because of all the other toys I've purchased in the mean time :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  2. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    congrats! I'm sure you'll love it :D
    I'm looking to get my first macro soon as well

3. A great lens Bill, I wonder what the rush is on these, they were pretty readily available 6-12 months ago...

4. wonderful lens

I fell in love with mine the first time I had it out. It just so happens, it was in the White Mountains, right near Franconia, NH. Just after a rain.....light fog....soft light. Perrrrrrrrfect. You are going to love it. It is everything they say and more.

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    a great lens for sure

6. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Today Amazon canceled my order claiming they can not locate one. I had been waiting since the beginning of June. Everyone else is out of stock except that Amazon does list it as available from 47 St Photo via Amazon.

I'm tempted to order because I'd still have all the protections of Amazon.com however I'm skeptical as to whether or not 47th St actually has them in stock.

7. What's this lens offer over the awesome 105 Nikon af-s vr? I am very satisfied with the Nikon.

8. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Charles,
    It's as sharp as the Nikon and has more working distance so it's a bit easier to use on bugs etc.

9. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I called Sigma and the said that they sent out a shipment of the lenses to 47 St Photo last week so after some back and forth I ended up pressing the "order" button on Amazon. I had a couple of coupons so I got it for about $550 and it's supposed to be here next week.

Ordering through Amazon is probably the only way I would have bought this from 47st Photo because I feel safe that I will be satisfied by Amazon if there are any issues.

I'll keep you posted.

10. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Surprisingly I got a tracking number today although it's too early to see the delivery date but I'm guessing it will be here Wednesday.

I hope everything goes OK with this as 47th St is the only online retailer showing it as IN Stock and then only via Amazon as it's not listed on their website.

11. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Best of luck with that, I'm sure the wait will be worth it. I have used a Sigma 150mm and it's a great lens.

12. You need to bookmark the pricegrabber.com website. Search for a lens, and they'll give you the etailers, prices, shipping costs, and availability.

In the case of the Sigma 150, BH Photo, TriState, and Sigma4Less all show "in stock".

13. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Frank, actually I'm pretty good at finding the deals. When I checked late last week BH was/is out of stock on their web site, Sigma4Less wants $22 for delivery so that made them too expensive and I saw Tristate but dismissed them without looking just because of the reputation. I went with Amazon so I could have their protection as well as use my reward coupons.

You're right that one needs to do a thorough scouring of the internet before buying anything. It's a little tougher with Lenses because of the grey market and I tent to stay with the reputable places. Typically I really like Amazon because of the liberal return/exchange policies as well as their prices. Second to that Adorama is usually a little cheaper than BH and BH is where I bought the kit originally.

Another plus for Amazon when you buy something that is also sold by Amazon is their price protection. I just got $50 back two months after I purchased the lens from Amazon on what was already the cheapest price I could find when I bought it....cant beat that!

Often I find the shopping almost as much fun as the shooting :biggrin:

14. I use Amazon whenever possible because we have a family membership to Amazon Prime, which means free 2 day shipping with qualifying items. But much of their camera gear is sold by a second party... often Adorama... so Amazon Prime doesn't apply. I'm usually willing to pay an extra buck or two to buy through B&H, simply because of the excellence of their online store. They offer pictures and complete specs on the products they represent, and their inventory control and shipping execution/notification are outstanding.

Me, too, and waiting for Brown to deliver is like waiting for Santa :smile:.

Btw, while pricegrabber.com is a good site to locate etailers for a product, their vendor rating system is out of line with the rest of the world. They give Tristate a decent rating (4 out of 5 stars), but, after reading your comment, I checked resellerratings.com and saw how poorly they are regarded.

15. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm a Prime member myself....I should be a regular stop for UPS. :)

I find that most rating systems allow for a large dissatisfied consumer base of like 10% before they drop the retailer a star so I take all of that with a grain of salt...including the bad ratings.

If there are other quality sellers out there I bypass those with bad consumer reviews but if they're the only game in town I usually bite, which I've done a few times and I haven't been burned yet.

16. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I guess it never hurts to complain to Amazon.

I logged on to Amazon.com last night and noticed that the lens they said that couldn't supply was again listed on their web site, but at a higher price. I deduced that it wasn't an availability problem that caused them to cancel but a price change. I shot off feedback to Amazon accusing them of just that and that I was unhappy about it.

In their response to me they admitted that the reason for the cancellation was the price increase and went into an explanation as to why it happens.

Long story short they offered me $30 off my next order.

17. Bill-e,

Thanks for posting that scoop. That was pretty nasty of amazon to do that. I think it is a breach of contract and a lie. Even though you got that coupon, I wish you pursue this matter with the authorities to make sure that this does not happen again. If they lowball, then they will have to eat crow. Otherwise, they are being like those scumbags offering new D300s for $600.

Good luck with your new toy.