Finally... basketball season!

One of our football teams won a state title, which resulted in me having to be out in the elements far longer than I like to. (Aside from watching College Football Playoffs on TV, I'm pretty much mentally done with the sport at about Halloween.)

Finally got back to where I most love being on the job last week: the gym! Contrary to football, basketball could last all year long as far as I'm concerned.

Here's a few pictures from some games last week. These were all shot on the D500 and 70-200 2.8, all wide open at 1/800 and ISO 5000 or 1/640 and ISO 6400.

BPB_1275-Edit-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BPB_1198-Edit-2.jpg

BPB_0967-Edit-2.jpg

BPB_0780-Edit-2.jpg

BPB_0830-Edit-2-2.jpg

BPB_0403-Edit-5.jpg

Nice action and thanks for posting. Wish there was more sports threads posted in the Cafe. While I like basketball, I hate being in the gym during basketball and volleyball season. I love covering the outside sports like football, baseball, soccer, and lacrosse. Yes football season starts in shorts and a tee shirt and moves up to a thermal base layer and full winter coat, but I enjoy the variations in the weather...give me those year round.

Thanks, Todd!

I like the weather variations up until the thermal base layer time. It's great to go from summer to fall, but once Halloween comes and it starts hitting 40 and below during games, I'm ready to head indoors.

How did you get #2 ?
I would love a shot like that, but I would need to put a ladder up against the gym wall, and the AD won't go for it.

Besides being WARM (except for winter break when they turn off the heater), the gym is DRY.
I went out for a soccer game, and I was SOAKED before the game even started. I gave up and went home.

How did you get #2 ?
I would love a shot like that, but I would need to put a ladder up against the gym wall, and the AD won't go for it.

Besides being WARM (except for winter break when they turn off the heater), the gym is DRY.
I went out for a soccer game, and I was SOAKED before the game even started. I gave up and went home.

That image (and the first three) were all taken at a nice 4,000-seat gymnasium with an upper level that has a 1/4 mile track that goes around it. There are cushioned seats in the upper level behind each basket, which is where I took No. 2 from. You can see what the seating sections above the baskets are like in this picture.

I'm the sports editor for my paper and am lucky to be at a paper that still has a photographer, so I don't shoot most games and he does. I felt bad for him this fall -- we had rainy, cold weather on a lot of nights. Speaking of soccer, we had such a game either the week of or the week before Halloween. It rained cats and dogs the entire hour drive to the playoff game site, rained all game and rained the whole way home. It was about 40 degrees. I was cold enough in the press box; was sure glad I wasn't in the elements that night.

That image (and the first three) were all taken at a nice 4,000-seat gymnasium with an upper level that has a 1/4 mile track that goes around it. There are cushioned seats in the upper level behind each basket, which is where I took No. 2 from. You can see what the seating sections above the baskets are like in this picture.

I'm the sports editor for my paper and am lucky to be at a paper that still has a photographer, so I don't shoot most games and he does. I felt bad for him this fall -- we had rainy, cold weather on a lot of nights. Speaking of soccer, we had such a game either the week of or the week before Halloween. It rained cats and dogs the entire hour drive to the playoff game site, rained all game and rained the whole way home. It was about 40 degrees. I was cold enough in the press box; was sure glad I wasn't in the elements that night.

You lucky stiff. Man what a NICE gym.
That upper level would also give you some good volleyball shots over the net of the spikers.

You lucky stiff. Man what a NICE gym.
That upper level would also give you some good volleyball shots over the net of the spikers.

It does give a good vantage point for that. I have not shot volleyball there, but I know it's popular for photographers to shoot from those chairbacks.

Very impressive peak action and surprisingly good IQ for a D500 at those ISOs

Thanks Randy! I've been happy with the shooting the D500 for over three years now. I comfortably shoot up to 6,400 on it and have went to 8,000 when forced -- with a little noise reduction in Lightroom, the IQ is plenty good for newsprint and the small display size on my publication's website.

I joined NPS last summer and just realized last week I was going to miss out on any evaluation loaners for this year, so I rented a D850. It's awesome, but the D500 files hold up surprisingly well upon comparison.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom