Finally developed something from my contax!!!

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by gavin, Apr 24, 2007.

1. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    And I have to say I LOVE IT !! :biggrin: :biggrin:

The camera is not on the best of conditions (of course doesn't meter and has some backfocus, which makes it hard to get people in focus wide open).
    Technically speaking these photos are close to garbage, and compositionally... let's say they are not the best I've done :rolleyes: BUT I wanted to show you what got me excited... there's a certain something present on the pictures... a very nice softness that really makes me want to grab this camera more often from now on!

These are all early march pictures from Las Vegas, the fakest (is that a word?) city in the world.

Oh.. and for riversideray: I scanned this @16bit color (with the calibrated profile) and then desaturated each one manually.

471615854_e4c0e0415d.

471380849_162f01473f.

471615856_669948caf3.

471615878_aef82f8b2e.

471615882_5f335a92c5.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The underexposure/increased contrast combined with the lack of affirmative focus gives them an 'old-world-snapshot' look Gav. I was surprised these were from Las Vegas! With a bit of practice and visual feedback, I bet this camera will make some superb picts.

Oh, LV, I concur. "Starring David Hasselhoff" just about says it all.

3. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words chris, as I said I'm pretty excited about what this camera is able to do... now it's my turn to live up to it :tongue:

The underexposure in the shots is because shooting @ ISO100, I ran out of light pretty fast and had to compromise!

4. Gavin, I pretty much agree with what Chris has said. I especially like the dreamy quality. Is there any way to get the rangefinder adjusted?

5. BryanSpeed

BryanSpeed

Feb 20, 2007
    N. Texas
    pretty neat, I also like that Hasselhoff sign image.
    what film did you use?

6. I like that first one a lot - I like the way the tables are contained in the frame by the staircase and bar - lovely shapes too.

7. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    I used Agfa APX100 developed in tetenal ultrafin liquid 1+10 for 13 minutes @ 19C.

There's a guy, Henry Scherer who rebuilds contax cameras who is amazing (at least that's what I hear). Contax's are very hard to repair, so sending it to any traditional repair service is like almost sending it to a certain death. This guy has a waiting list of at least a year, so I have enough time to learn to use it as it is!!!