finally - developed the first roll

Didn't know Canon made lenses for Ms.

I wonder which M version HCB and Winogrand used.

The Canon lenses are LTM (Leica Thread Mount) lenses. There are adapters, which you screw on the lens and have transferred it into an M-Mount lens, fitting every modern Leica M mount body.

There is a huuuge fan base with all the knowledge reagrding each item and descent knowledge about each lenses characteristics. You can look at flickr and search for the respective lens.

Which camera each one used is purely academic, as the Leica M bodies only marginally changed in features and details (Monsieur Cartier-Bresson reportedly used a Leica M3).

Just go for the body, that has the features ideally suited for you.

You need an internal meter?
You want a mechanical camera or an electronic one?
Which lenses will be used most and which not at all (finder decision)?
Which color do you want?

Thats it ;-)

The M6 TTL usually is 150 − 200 EUR more (in my opinion definitely not worth the higher price).

I agree to a point. A 1997 Classic vs. a 1999 TTL...TTL isn't worth a roll of film IMHO, but if it's identical condition '80s camera vs. a 1999 TTL, I'd pay a bit more for the TTL for the newer equipment.

I just received today a chrome M6 TTL .58 in box that I paid US$1375 for. There isn't a mark, a scuff, even the slightest of bright spot on it. It's a great time to buy used Leica film gear. Lenses are another story though and I think it will get much worse in the next year. If you got a good line on a lens, I think you shouldn't wait. Between price increases at the first of the year and a serious uptick in Leica, both film and digital, I don't think lens prices are going anywhere but north.

I agree to a point. A 1997 Classic vs. a 1999 TTL...TTL isn't worth a roll of film IMHO, but if it's identical condition '80s camera vs. a 1999 TTL, I'd pay a bit more for the TTL for the newer equipment.

I just received today a chrome M6 TTL .58 in box that I paid US$1375 for. There isn't a mark, a scuff, even the slightest of bright spot on it. It's a great time to buy used Leica film gear. Lenses are another story though and I think it will get much worse in the next year. If you got a good line on a lens, I think you shouldn't wait. Between price increases at the first of the year and a serious uptick in Leica, both film and digital, I don't think lens prices are going anywhere but north.

I have noticed that even the LTM lenses are going for a dear price. I'll probably get a Voightlander lens, though they are going dearly too. I was hoping for a 35mm Nokton, but I'll have to wait til after the first of the year, spent too much already.

"my daily drug"
TX400_ISO3200_TMAX1+4_010.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not bad at all for first try to develop your own film.

You seem to have a knack with pushing film to the extreme also :)

Does M6 classic have internal meter? Will it still work (take picture) without the electronics (if any)?

Yes, probably it's a good time to buy. But can't do it if you don't have the money.

I'm guessing the digital Leicas will come down in price more than the film ones once newer ones come out. Don't you think?
Usually the electronic ones drop down in price pretty steep once the technology advanced.

Does M6 classic have internal meter? Will it still work (take picture) without the electronics (if any)?

Yes, probably it's a good time to buy. But can't do it if you don't have the money.

I'm guessing the digital Leicas will come down in price more than the film ones once newer ones come out. Don't you think?
Usually the electronic ones drop down in price pretty steep once the technology advanced.

Within a couple of years M8's will become affordable, but they'll be old tech by then. If the M9 drops to half it's current price I'll might not be able to help myself ;)

The M5, M6 classic, M6TT and MP all have internal meters that work on a battery, while everything else is mechanical: the battery doesn't come into play or the actual shooting. The M7 is the only M that needs a battery to operate at al.

Within a couple of years M8's will become affordable, but they'll be old tech by then. If the M9 drops to half it's current price I'll might not be able to help myself ;)

But it's a cropped sensor right? So 50mm is not exactly 50mm, but perhaps it has a different finder/lines?

The M5, M6 classic, M6TT and MP all have internal meters that work on a battery, while everything else is mechanical: the battery doesn't come into play or the actual shooting. The M7 is the only M that needs a battery to operate at al.

I see. Thanks, Koen. :smile:

Not bad at all for first try to develop your own film.

You seem to have a knack with pushing film to the extreme also :)

Thanks Will,

I shoot mostly in the night and was completely surprised, how well Tri-X behaves in that, and how much detail is still in the files for even more pushing in PP.
I guess my strange experiments will end soon and I just use the film. For now it is just "playtime with a new toy".

But it's a cropped sensor right? So 50mm is not exactly 50mm, but perhaps it has a different finder/lines?

The M9 isn't cropped, but the M8 is. The M8 is a pretty miserable buy economically, but if you have a nice 35mm lens hanging around...

The M9 isn't cropped, but the M8 is. The M8 is a pretty miserable buy economically, but if you have a nice 35mm lens hanging around...

Right, I should've been more clear. The M8 is the cropped one. So my question is for example, if you have M8 with .72 finder which is actually for 35mm, and if you put in 35mm, wouldn't it be like putting a 50mm (because of the cropped sensor) and thus you will get the 50mm bright-line frame in the finder?

Not sure if you get what I mean... :frown:

Well, the digital Ms both have .68 finders because the body is thicker, but that doesn't really matter.
With both you'll get the framelines that belong to a focal length, but on the M8 they will be smaller to account for the crop factor. That's why they can fit framelines for a 24mm lens in the M8: it'll work more like a 28mm so the framelines cover a smaller area. You'll get the 50mm lines with the 50mm lens but they'll be different lines than you get on full-frame M's.

Well, the digital Ms both have .68 finders because the body is thicker, but that doesn't really matter.
With both you'll get the framelines that belong to a focal length, but on the M8 they will be smaller to account for the crop factor. That's why they can fit framelines for a 24mm lens in the M8: it'll work more like a 28mm so the framelines cover a smaller area. You'll get the 50mm lines with the 50mm lens but they'll be different lines than you get on full-frame M's.

Ah, OK. So they did offset the finder and framelines to compensate the crop factor.That's good to know.

Thank you so much, Koen. :smile:

Actually, I have used my MP and M6 without battery and hence can confirm that they don't need one :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom