Finally getting some better soccer pics

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Mitchell, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Thanks to all of you, my soccer pics are finally improving!
    Any comments?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tighter crop to catch a great expression!

[​IMG]

2. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    what lens you used ? awesome pics

3. These were all taken with my 180mm, f2.8 on my D2X with a monopod.

Thanks for looking!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Mitch, I have to agree, these are very good. The lighting is nice, the colors good, plenty sharp, action captured well and great crop. What aperture...f/2.8? The first and second images should be framed and hanging in the home somewhere. Keep up the great shooting.

5. Those pics look good. I have to know did the girl on the ground in this one get the ball right in the face.
    [​IMG]

The only critique I might have is to suggest a lower angle of view. Try laying down or even kneeling will help. If the grass is wet I guess you can be "that dad" who runs around in a rain suit with his camera.:biggrin: Good luck and keep shooting

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice shots Mitch...
    Shooting sports is easy, you just have to practice a lot. Oh and take tons of shots and never shot anyone the bad ones..

:biggrin:

7. Frank,

I believe these were shot at f4.5. I decided to try something smaller than 2.8 this weekend. I was wondering if some of the softness in my previous attempts were due to the shallow DOF.

Thanks for looking.

8. She didn't get it in the face. My daughter controlled this one and kept it away from her teammate on the ground.:biggrin:

9. Thanks for the update. Your daughter seems to be quite the star. Congrats.

10. Thanks, Matt.

Your suggestion about a lower perspective is interesting. I think I already look absurd enought with my monopod, long lens, and huge camera at my 10 year old's soccer games. The final straw would be my rolling around on the ground with all this gear. My daughter would have me taken away to a mental hospital!:eek:

11. Good shots Mitch and yes, you have improved. Your timing on these shots is quite good.