Finally got a D2X heading this way.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by frogpix, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Zeff Photo has come through. They had a 'small' shipment of D2X's come in today and one had my name on it. Also grabbing the 17-55 f/2.8 while I'm at it. No guts, no glory. Now we'll see just what I can do with this puppy. My guess is the learning curve for image manipulation just took on Everest proportions.
    :p

2. Let me be the first to congratulate you Steve. I know you will love it and the lens you chose is exceptional. Now you need the 70-200 VR to go with it unless you have that one too. It looks like Nikon was right. They said they were shipping more soon so now they are rolling in.

I'm sure you will make that puppy sing :D

Have fun and enjoy!

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Steve

Does Hunts in Portland carry a large contingency opf Nikon as their store near me in Melrose MA Does?

I received calls from two dealers locally today that had both D2X'x and D2H's availabe...wondering if I wanted to purchase a spare!

I'd love to, but they'd have to finance it at about $5 a week :)

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Congratulations Steve. Can't wait to see some shots with that awesome combo. :wink:

Frank

5. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Will have mine next week from B&H. Just got off phone with them. Shame that the BH web site doesn't show real time status like they told me it did. Found out by a 1/2 hr old post at DRP that BH had them in. :lol:

6. Re: D2X

Congratulations Larry, Have you told Todd S yet? He is looking for one too.

I know you will love this camera. It will blow you away. I'm pretty much getting the menus memorized for the basic settings. Enjoy and don't forget to post your first pic for all of your Cafe friends :)

7. Question about crop

How do you jump into the high speed crop mode without going to the menu screen? I read those two pages a few times and must have missed something. Being a Mensa member ain't all it's cracked up to be. :oops:

8. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Re: D2X

I sent Todd an email. We previously had it set up that I would call him 24/7 if BH came through. He recently found a new source to get one and said notification was no longer needed. I never heard anymore after that.

I've got two jobs on the 16th before I head to the mountains. That will give me plently of time to adjust from the D1X. That is unless press passes come through for the Masters. Would go heavy on the D1X if that happens.

Odd thing. One of my E20 photos is the cover photo on a magazine and I almost missed it (had counted 16 photos inside). The photo is a tight crop out of a larger photo yet the crop made a fanastic cover. So much for it can't be done. (2d edit- it was a D1X shot but still a heavy crop for a cover. Bad when I can't keep up with Oly 2500, E10, E20, D1X shots that still show up in print).

UPDATE: Just heard from Todd and he does have his D2X!

9. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Re: Question about crop

Steve, naturally I can't answer yet but I understand that its a fast change somewhere on the outside of the camera. Maybe it is something that has to be set up in the menu. Will be watching to see what those that already have the 2X say about it. I don't expect to use the speed crop much even though I shoot a lot of sports but good to know just in case.

10. FUNC Button Assignment

Steve/Larry -

To use HSC mode without going through the menus, you first need to assign the "FUNC" button to activate that mode. Follow the instructions on page 205 of the manual for that (I won't repeat them here)...

Once that has been done, HSC mode can be activated by holding down the FUNC button and turning the command dial one "click". Turning HSC off can then be done using the same procedure (ie. it's a toggle).

My prediction is you will both love these cameras!

Larry - any update on your trip to the mountains?

11. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Re: FUNC Button Assignment

Ah okay. Assign the function button. Knew it was something like that.

Almost forgot about the mountain trip. I'm due to arrive at friends in afternoon of April 22 (Friday) so I plan to leave here very early in morning and be in their area (Bryson City) by daybreak to get in morning sun and shoot through the day. I have no idea what or where that morning so it will be stop and go and follow the sun. Looks like some lakes to the West of Bryson City. I'll be shooting through Sunday late afternoon (24th) and will return home late Sunday night or early Monday morning. The train no longer offers the all day package so I'm not sure about it. It would have to be a Saturday or Sunday morning and probably the one out of Bryson City. My friend will have a list of locations for Sat and Sun. If that weekend works out for you, let me know and we'll see what we can do to join up. At least its only a five hour drive for me to get up there.

12. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I'm glad to hear that so many members are finally getting their D2X's.
    Just in time for spring shooting.

So post your photos and rejoice.

Birger

13. High speed crop

Thanks, group. I am going to memorize the instruction book. See you in about a year............. :D

14. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Re: High speed crop

Just be sure to memorize the book to your fingertips and not your brain. The camera should be the non-thinking part. In truth, and according to pro friends, that really takes five years to do it right!! Get a new camera and the five years starts anew. Until then, post photos and not wait a year.

15. I have been experiencing a few pains with my D2X as compared to my D2H primarily with workflow.
    Photoshop does not yet support raw, and the nikon downloads crashed my computer and nearly cost me some of my files. (Thanks Maxtor).
    The camera handles like a dream and the color is awesome. can't wait to get my workflow back in normal mode again. Shooting jpeg fine in the meantime.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Larry,

You have got the patience of Job. 8) I'm glad to hear that you are finally getting yours. I can't wait to see what you and Steve can come up with. Of course, you have some pretty stiff cometition already from Ron, Yves, and Jim.... :wink:

Let us know.

Frank

17. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Mine has made it to Baltimore and left there early this morning. Schedule arrival on Monday. I may go to the UPS shop early to intercept box before it goes out for delivery. Otherwise it may may get to the house until late in the afternoon. Time better spent charging batteries (Coolwalker also ordered).

I'm not sure that I have the same shooting requirements as the others except what I might shoot for myself. Much time will be spent in getting the D1X and D2X in sync for results. No fault of the cameras, just my adjustment to shooting both. I have another portable mural to shoot on the 16th so that will be a good go for the D2X but of little interest here. The client sells framed prints. The artist also gets a percentage of each sale so by agreement, there is no copyright conflict (in case anyone thought of the potential).

While I'm thinking about it, here is a shot from last Saturday's Steeplechase. Lighting was a nightmare all day starting with a heavy fog until sunshine by the last two races. This one shows how bad it was with conflicting foreground and background lighting. Still a useful photo in spite of the lighting. No editing except for resizing to web and a fast snap in place.
    [​IMG]
    Another one.
    [​IMG]

18. Not to mention the 85mm f/1.4...and the 300 f/2.8...and..... :D

Rich