Critique Finally Had Some Success in Capturing a Sequence of the GBH Getting His Lunch

The first time I watched the whole process going down I was so excited that I kept mashing the Back-Button Focus button but forgot to actually hit the shutter release, so only got one or two images, which is too bad, as I was much closer to the GBH just then than I was later, when I did manage to capture the sequence at a distance from across the lake. I know I'll have other opportunities, and the more I do this the more I'll get the hang of the timing and so on....and remember to press the shutter release!

Lighting situation wasn't optimal but I dealt with it. This around 3:00-3:45 or so in the afternoon, so the sun was still pretty harsh.

I could tell from his movements that he was about to take the plunge:

Lunch Capture in Progress.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Got today's lunch!

Got Him!.jpeg

Just Gotta Hang On to Him Now.jpeg

From the earlier sequence, when I was closer to him:

Nabbed a Tasty Morsel.jpeg

He took off and I wasn't prepared for that, missed the BIF shots entirely, and could only watch as he went to a nice, private place nearby to enjoy his lunch in peace:

Lunch in a Peaceful Place.jpeg

Thank you, Bohdan and Jbird! I am hoping that next time I'll be on the other side of the lake, which is closer for viewing and shooting the entire process and able to get shots under better lighting conditions, too...... I am pretty amazed at how these current cameras can handle situations that we wouldn't have been able to have shot handheld several years ago.

Congratulations. There are let me say "iconic" shots that you really want to get but never seem to have to chance while others do. (I have some of those too.) Then you nail it. Yea!

Thank you, Dan and Allan! Yes, Allan, you pinpointed it -- for years I have wistfully gazed at the amazing photos others have gotten of GBH feeding, the entire sequence, etc., and yet either have not had the right lens on the camera or have missed the sequence because it went too quickly, etc. This was a first for me and I'm really pleased! My next goal is to try and get the GBH in flight! Something tells me that is going to be a lot trickier, though...... :).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom