Finally,mobilisation to Portugal...

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by hans, Oct 4, 2005.

1. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Monday 10-01-05 we got the green light from the tow surveyor to go ahead ,the weather conditions are good,on the three points we measure,1st Dover,Calais 2nd Brest the last French harbour,you don't want to hide there the wages are extremly high,and 3rd Finistere on the coast of Spain.
    It's a 10 days journey the tug boats doing 7 to 9 nautical miles per hour and from Rotterdam to Lisbon it's about 1500 NM.
    Here are some impressions of the leaving in Rotterdam,I wasonly able to shoot the towage of the first barge with piles,the tow surveyor didn't give the green light for the other tow's the tow chain to short so the other four left in the dark.

First 21 piles of 60 on a barge 20x 60 m Piles are 2200diameter and 40m up to 48 m long

[​IMG]

Multicat "Claudia B" who'll stay during the work in Portugal will tow the split barge for the outcoming soil from the piles
    In the backgroung the "Dutch Partner"who'll tow two crane barges

[​IMG]

Piling barge "Dina M"with a Manitowac ringer 350 tonnes

[​IMG]

Tug boat for the "Dina M"

[​IMG]

Two crane barges one with a Liebherr 883,a 130 tons crane,and in the back you can see the blue frame of a Liebherr 855 a 90 tonnes crane,in the middle the split barge for 775 m3 capacity

[​IMG]

First of the four tows on its way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once at sea the tow length will be slacked to 500 or 800 meters depending on the wind,waves and swell

[​IMG]

Latest news is that they are due to arrive in Lisbon the 12th of October if the weather stays like this so all of you cross your fingers for it, I don't have the budget to spend a week in a French harbour.

One figure: € 70.000 for gasoil per tugboat for one way only

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow again. What an operation this is. What a huge responsibility.

Wishing good weather and smooth sailing.
    Thanks for sharing. Great images.

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice shots.. But I miss a picture of Nena in there.. :frown:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Dave,
    Nena doesn't like water and has no ROAD to sit in the middle of...lolol

5. Hi Hans,

Nice shots! from where in the netherlands are you. I live close to the Vlissingen harbour. I bet you come there alot to!

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2005
  6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Cool shots!

7. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for looking all

Vince this is the Rotterdam harbour,worked in Sloe a couple of times
    I live in Roosendaal.

Update:Monday night is ETA so Thuesday I'll be off to Portugal

8. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Very nice Hans. I really enjoyed the series. Thanks for sharing them with us.