Finally Nikon Stepped up to the Plate with the New D3!

First post here...I really like what I see in this site. Hello to all of you!

I wanted to share with you all a post I made (look for DKING99) in another forum comparing the D3 to the ALL MIGHTY Canon 1D Mark III....

My purpose of this post is to allow others to equally compare the ISO performance between the two cameras. After you do that, check the price tag and form your own opinion, please.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=74678&page=2

Last edited by a moderator:
when it comes down to it.. it's the photographer behind the camera..
whether it's Nikon's flagship camera or Canon's flagship... the difference is minimal, the difference the photographer makes is huge..
I've had posters, and advertising campaigns printed form d100 files.. shot a calendar for a tv show with a d80, billboard ad with a d1x and all the times I turned work in to an Art Director, I was never asked what the images were taken with...:biggrin::biggrin:

Oh and welcome to the Cafe....:wink:

dking99
Welcome! I know what you mean. Michael said it best, its the photog. However, most of the Canon shooters I know and see on the sidelines they look at me like I am using a P&S. Saturday I shot a scrimmage for the high school where I am the team photog. There were 4 cameras on the sidelines 1 Canon (he had a 40D with a 400) and 3 Nikons. He would not come over to the other side of the field (where the sun was to our backs). He chose to shoot in to the sun. I invited him over to the our side (visitors) but he would not come. I did shoot from his side (home side) for about 5 mins until the sun came out and I moved to the visitors side. I can only imagine his results. Maybe we Nikon users are not as stuck up as some other folks. The odd thing was that he was from the other school.

Meh, Nikon shooters can be stuck up, and Canon shooters can be stuck up. I'm a keen (and sometimes paid) photographer. I happen to use Nikon gear right now, though until recently, I used Canon gear.

If I had adequate reason and the financial ability, I would switch camera brands without hesitation. But as I said, there would have to a STRONG compelling reason to do so; there would have to be a Nikon issue that prevented my delivering the result I want or a Canon reason that would allow me to do substantially better then I can now. I've been to a good number of shoots where there were Canon & Nikon users in equal numbers and no-one ever snuffed each other, other than the occasion obligatory white girlie lens joke..

dking99
Welcome! I know what you mean. Michael said it best, its the photog. However, most of the Canon shooters I know and see on the sidelines they look at me like I am using a P&S. Saturday I shot a scrimmage for the high school where I am the team photog. There were 4 cameras on the sidelines 1 Canon (he had a 40D with a 400) and 3 Nikons. He would not come over to the other side of the field (where the sun was to our backs). He chose to shoot in to the sun. I invited him over to the our side (visitors) but he would not come. I did shoot from his side (home side) for about 5 mins until the sun came out and I moved to the visitors side. I can only imagine his results. Maybe we Nikon users are not as stuck up as some other folks. The odd thing was that he was from the other school.

Shooting into the sun when the sun is very strong often yields more pleasing results than the opposite, so, maybe, just maybe he was being smart (for a Canonite anyhow)

Whoa there, young fellow! This isn't "that" other site. We have a number of Canon shooters here at the Cafe and they're as welcome as anybody. Appreciate your enthusiasm about Nikon, but dumping on other brands is not why we're here; love of photography is.

If it wasn't for Canon trumping Nikon in the full-frame arena I wonder how long it would have taken Nikon to make the D3? We all benefit when they play technological leap frog.

Whoa there, young fellow! This isn't "that" other site. We have a number of Canon shooters here at the Cafe and they're as welcome as anybody. Appreciate your enthusiasm about Nikon, but dumping on other brands is not why we're here; love of photography is.

If it wasn't for Canon trumping Nikon in the full-frame arena I wonder how long it would have taken Nikon to make the D3? We all benefit when they play technological leap frog.

I never meant to dump Canon users...sorry if it came off that way.

I am actually excited now that Nikon is starting to earn the respect of most Canon users. Until the D3, Canon users just harped on the lack of quality Nikon offered. They never had anything good to say about a Nikon - I experienced that first hand. It's kind of like being in elementary school and being too small to be respected on the playground...but then after a summer break growth spur, you came back just as big as the others and become just as competitive. It makes you feel respected. Same as shooting with the D3. Now I feel respected and more confident in my shooting. I dont have that feeling that there is someone else out there with an advantage. Especially when shooting in low light situations, I always knew I had to stop at ISO 1600 with my D200 if I wanted decent shots. At the same time, I saw some of the better Canon shooters with much higher ISOs, with cleaner, brighter, and sharper results.

I was very close to making the switch to Canon up until the day I tried out the D3. I was looking at losing a lot of money making the switch, so in all actuality, buying a D3 was only a few more bucks. Owning a D3 has made me PROUD to be a Nikon user. I hope other D3 owners feel the same way.

Same as shooting with the D3. Now I feel respected and more confident in my shooting.

This is just ridiculous.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, and I'll consider this my only post on this topic.. But to think that you need a bigger/better tool to gain respect is sad. I'd have more respect for the guy getting as good/better images with lesser gear.

This is just ridiculous.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, and I'll consider this my only post on this topic.. But to think that you need a bigger/better tool to gain respect is sad. I'd have more respect for the guy getting as good/better images with lesser gear.

Sheesh. There aren't many morning people around here.

I took it as a "woohoo - finally a WORTHY camera" not "Yes! Nikon has demolished my feelings of emotional inadequacy!"

The folks on the other thread seem to appreciate the ribbing. . .

I don't even see a need for this thread. Both Canon and Nikon have their advantages, and that's that. Wonder what the Nikon/Canon fanboys will say when Sony comes out with a 32MP FF cam with matching CZ lenses :biggrin:

LOL, I spent the night trying to remember what Canon did to me. :smile:

Don't worry. Me too. And i have shot with a Canon before and the only thing that i found that i wasn't to fond of... was the lens zoom was backwards... (nikon zoom in, CCW, canon zoom in CW. at least with the lenses i have experienced) but it only felt awkward because i had grown up with Nikon my whole life... other than that, i didn't have a problem with Canon :smile:

Revenge?

Revenge on Canon? I have very good friends who use Canon, and they take excellent photos. I use Nikon because I like Nikon, and they use Canon because they like Canon. It's just not a big deal.

Latest threads

Top Bottom