Finally Soloed, Any other pilots out there?

Yesterday 5/15 at 5:15 at KUZA, Rock Hill, SC I did 3 take off and landing as the sole occupant of a Cessna 172 Skyhawk!

It's been 7 years in the making. I started when I was 12 with an introductory flight but have always wanted to fly. I went to an Air Force base in Arkansas when I was 5 and just have love aviation ever since.

After that introductory flight, I started when I was about 17 at Wilgrove Airport near Charlotte, NC. I quickly ran out of money and had to stop. After picking up another job and quickly saving everything I had, I was finally able to start "seriously" flying January 4th.

Now, 4 months, 11 days since my first flight at Rock Hill with instructor Troy Fleming, countless hours on the computer studying with the Cessna Flight Training online course and $2,708.66 later, I have soloed a plane. Wow

Here are a couple pictures from the day. I have some more on my Facebook page :)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1801538643557.2092291.1392540398&l=4d84511c9

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My dad in the foreground taking video. This was 1 of 3 take offs that day

Landing 3 of 3. Notice the windsock in the background. It was a crosswind all day!

The traditional cutting of the shirt after solo :)

My instructor Troy on the left and myself

Thanks for looking! Can't wait to make it up to Oshkosh and take tons of pictures!

~Michael~

Congrats!

There are quite a few of us pilots here, actually. There used to be a big flying thread, but I can't seem to find it now.

Oh man! It's weird to think I can go flying anytime now....well, with limitations. Attempting to get a ride from Charlotte to Oshkosh in July. It's bee a ride, but the fun is just beginning

~Michael~

BTW, you see that rusty hinge on the 172 door? Many years ago, we almost lost the door in flight, on a 172. The top hinge pin rusted through, and broke in flight. We managed to hold the door in place until we landed, but upon opening it, the bottom hinge pin broke, and the door fell off. :eek:

Might want to keep an eye on it. :smile:

BTW, you see that rusty hinge on the 172 door? Many years ago, we almost lost the door in flight, on a 172. The top hinge pin rusted through, and broke in flight. We managed to hold the door in place until we landed, but upon opening it, the bottom hinge pin broke, and the door fell off. :eek:

Might want to keep an eye on it. :smile:
I will make sure to do that. One of the first times we did an engine out, he opened the window! Always fly the plane!!!!! But now that you mentioned that, I'll make sure to keep an eye out for it

~Michael~

Woohoo! My first solo was definitely memorable - caught a hard gust and bounced about six feet. Pushed the throttle to the firewall and went around again. My instructor literally ran out to the runway and met me to make sure I wasn't too freaked out! I actually didn't freak out until later that afternoon :tongue:
Good ol 172
Congratulations!

Real Name
Michael
Congratulations, Michael. First solo is an exciting event. Thirty five years later and I can still remember mine as if it were yesterday.

Congratulations, Michael!! Nothing like a dream coming true, huh? :smile:
You're exactly right.

Woohoo! My first solo was definitely memorable - caught a hard gust and bounced about six feet. Pushed the throttle to the firewall and went around again. My instructor literally ran out to the runway and met me to make sure I wasn't too freaked out! I actually didn't freak out until later that afternoon :tongue:
Good ol 172
Congratulations!
The crosswinds weren't too bad until that last one. My instructor always tells me, the landings don't have to be perfect, they just need to be safe.

Congratulations! Now the real learning begins.
Yeah. Cross country, night flying. Phew!

Congratulations, Michael. First solo is an exciting event. Thirty five years later and I can still remember mine as if it were yesterday.
Thats about what my instructor said. It brings back memories for when he soloed!

~Michael~

Congrats, Michael. My solo was more important to me than any subsequent certificate or rating. Enjoy the moment!

You know, I don't remember when I soloed. I do remember my first high performance rating, and my first float landings, and the first real glassy water landing (which wasn't pretty!) Sad to say, I'm without an airplane now. Fuel costs, repairs, annual inspections, and the extraordinarily high cost of insurance priced me out of ownership.

I took some lessons when I was a kid, I'd love to go back and get my license. I just haven't had the chance, and I'm not in a huge rush since I can't exactly afford a plane to fly if I get a license...

But I do the 400mi drive from nor-to-socal and back pretty frequently, and I often think about how nice it'd be to be able to do it in a 172 or even one of those little LSAs instead.

Congrats on the solo. I did a few intro flights and that was as far as it ever went. Would love to get my license but not in the budget. A coworker has 2 lessons under his belt and then the future wife said nope you are saving for a wedding. He hasn't been up in probably 8 months.

Oh gosh...you are someone's child; you are making me nervous and you're not even my son. But congratuations on your solo flight. Yes I have a male friend who flies and he loves it. I can't even get on a big plane.

Great images thanks for sharing and congrats on your huge milestone...your bucket list.

Well done!

I remember my first solo circuit all too well. Downwind and the engine decides to misfire, all the usual checks fail to cure it so turn in early for finals after informing the tower of my problem 1/2 a mile out engine cuts out all together!!! :eek:

Turns out the PA28 (G-BOBA) I was flying had a new engine recently and it decided to get all it's teething problem out of the way with me.

450 hours + Night + Twin + IMC . Must make more of an effort to get back in the air haven't flown for 12 months, the cost here in the UK is just getting ridiculous now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom