Finally some Desert Photos

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Desert Rat, Dec 2, 2005.

1. You know in thinking about it.. My nickname is Desert Rat and I have not poseted any images from the desert. DOH!! :eek:

So, to keep with my nickname of Desert Rat I am going to post a few images from the desert southwest.. I would have to say is my favorite place to photograph....

These shots are from Arches National Park and a few from Antelope Canyon

A few from the Antelope Canyon Slot Canyon

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Eric,
    I just looked thru your gallery and I have to say you have some very good images. Makes me miss AZ, I haven't been out there in 4 years. If you ever get out this way (coastal NE) during whale watch season, let me know, it will challenge you beyond your wildest dreams!

3. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Nice photos of Delicate arch. When I was at Delicate arch it was near sunset, but I didn't stay because I was afraid I'd be walking in circles all night on slickrock in the dark trying to find my back down.

I don't think I've ever seen a bad picture from Antelope Canyon, but I've never been in a slot canyon myself to my regret. Southern Utah is my favorite place to photograph.

Here's a version of Delicate Arch you probably haven't seen.

[​IMG]

If you're curious there a few more of these strange contortions at

http://sfox.smugmug.com/gallery/275475

All but two are from Arches and Capitol Reef.

Regards

4. Thanks for the kind comment about my gallery.. Someday I will add the new shots I have from November 2004 when i was there for a week...

Yep, I know what you mean by missing the desert southwest.. I have not been there since last November 2004.

Humm, actually i would like to go looking for Moose and maybe Loons instead of whales in the northeast.. :^) :biggrin: :biggrin:

=======================================

5. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Good stuff Eric, very well done.

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Very nice. I hope to get out west one day.

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Very Very nice Eric
    Now here's another place I have to go shoot !

8. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Eric...very nice! Love that second one.

9. THanks Ben, Randy, Frank, Biggs and Pete.. I really have to get out there again...

I was there in 2003 for the first time and never been back... :frown: :frown:

10. Eric...Your name now lives up to your shots!

You did a fine job on these. I have a question though, the last few pictures look like the whole sand sculpture is made totally up with sand. Is this true or are the inside walls made of rock or other type of material? Also are visitors allowed to walk through these mazes?

Thanks,

11. You have really captured some nice shots here Eric. Having lived in this area for a good share of my life I can attest to the beauty that is here. Well done.

12. THanks for the kind words...

In answering your question regarding the last few images. In the Southwest there are some canyons that are called slot canyons. The walls are made up of sandstone and water is the vehicle that causes the erosion of the walls.. As the water flows through the canyon it removes and scours the walls and creates these amazing formations and striations on the canyn walls..

You can walsk though most of the slot canyons in the Southwest. This is the most popular one on the Navajo reservation called Antelope Canyon. It is a easy walk and relatively short, but you can spend hours in there photographing.
    When I was there last November with 3 other photographers, it was very empty and we made a deal where we could stay ther for 4 hours and were just shooting away.. In regard to images if you are shooting film it is relatively a crap shoot on exposure.. With the digital though you could see your exposures right away and make corrections in regard to the histogram right there...

13. Thanks Gordon.. Maybe if I pass by on my way to Bryce or the Grand Staircase we could go shoot somewhere?