Finally Upgraded PC - Need Backup Storage

Finally replaced my 6 yr old Gateway with a HP quad core 8G DDR3 with a Radeon card etc. Processing RAW files was killing me, I spent more time waiting for files to open than I did editing. So far so good. Using PSE 8 with ACR because it works for me. Here's the question.

Used a 120 GB Firelite on the Gateway. It's worked great but is almost full now anyway, thinking I need a new backup storage setup. Ideas?

If you have a ESATA port Toshiba makes a 1 or 2 TB external drive that works on either ESATA or uSB 2.0. I absolutely love mine. The ESATA is very fast.

Yeah if you have an E-Sata port on the new PC that would be the way to go.

As Seans suggested 2 drives of a suitable size and you would be set. Idea being that you keep one somewhere other than your home (so you have a copy in the even or fire or theft).

There's some good discussion in this thread about backups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do dual backups on the 500GB or 750GB WD Passports as Nick suggests. Keep one off-site. I use Karen's Replicator (gratis) as my backup software because it also duplicates deletions if you decide to spend a rainy afternoon culling files.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The disadvantage of eSATA is that you could only restore your data to a machine with an eSATA port. Since these are just backup drives rather than ones in continuous use, you will be fine with USB drives. You can plug them into any machine to get back a file you need.

The disadvantage of eSATA is that you could only restore your data to a machine with an eSATA port. Since these are just backup drives rather than ones in continuous use, you will be fine with USB drives. You can plug them into any machine to get back a file you need.

I think esata is becoming pretty standard - the last PC I built has esata on the front of the case and the motherboard, and the new thinkpad I ordered has esata, fw and usb 3. If you have a lot of data, copying over esata vs usb 2 is a big deal.

Sean

I recently bought a Western Digital 1.5T external USB hard drive from BestBuy for $95 delivered. I just checked and BestBuy's deal is over but my oh my that is getting pretty reasonable for such a big backup drive. I see that NewEgg has the same drive for $95 also.

It feels good to have an offline backup solution with redundancy (I have numerous external USB drives already) that I completely unplug and put in safe keeping. 8^)

I just added two 1 TB WD external USB 3 drives -- and they are FAST
Yep - had to install a little pci card -- but that was super easy

My personal choice would be:
1tb drive in machine for all photo work
2x 1tb drive in a NAS box, raid 1
gigabit switch between the two.

Use a sync software to copy the data from the machine's 1tb to the NAS backup.

NAS: Something like this
http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=12&pid=52

Exactly what I have. Only my NAS device is a buffalo 1TB x2 linkstation. The sync software I use is microsoft active sync, its a free download and you can setup an automatic job to run everytime you log in, etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom