Finaly, one without twigs

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dmwphoto, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Most will find this capture common, but knowing he was about 60' away and the flash did its work, not to mention no bothersome twigs in the way, I am pleased.
    [​IMG]

2. I really like the background on this shot! It just glows but without distracting from the birdie! Nicely done!

3. Kevin,
    I was quite pleased with the background too. It is all in this lens. The bokeh on the 200-400 is really a BIG plus.
    Dave

4. Great capture of an immature robin. I miss these little guys, only one or two left before the white cr@p falls out of the sky.
    Excellent bokeh. I know only too well about getting shots without twigs - well done!

5. Dave
    Hats off this is an exceptional image very crisp nice colors very very nice background you should be thrilled

6. Sandi and Mike,
    Thank you for looking and thank you for commenting. Mike, I credit you for this. Your songbird images have inspired me to try and be better. It means a lot to have you compliment this.
    Dave

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I'd be pleased too Dave. If I had any nits, it would be that I would go for just a tad more contrast. Have you tried the USM for contrast trick? It would probably work very well on this shot. :wink:

8. "Have you tried the USM for contrast trick? It would probably work very well on this shot.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

It's a trick that I learned here, from Jim Fenton and others. Basically, you use USM to increase the contrast. To do this, I set the Amount to a value of between 2 and 12, the Radius to 44, and the Threshold to 0. What this does, instead of traditional sharpening, is to accentuate the contrast of the image. I have been using this extensively since I learned the trick. The cool thing is that it gives increased contrast without bumping the actual Tone Compensation, which preserves the shadow areas.

10. Thanks Frank. Based on your response I assume it is Nikon Capture and I will give it a try.
    dave

11. Dave
    I think he means in PS if I am not mistaken, but I coudl be wrong I just tried it on a shot of mine and it worked wonders...TY Frank

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

No, I'm talking about PS CS. I use pretty much normal RR (or below normal) settings in NC. I save the image as a .tiff, and then open it in PS, do all of my processing, then apply the USM for contrast as the last step.

13. I learned that USM trick as the "20-50" Tweak, but there is a lot of leeway. I've even seen a "30-60" Tweak sometimes work.
    This tweak can sometimes backfire and cause a glow around a lighter color. I once tweaked Portland Light against that nice blue Maine sky using the 20-50 Rule and it looked like I had turned its lights on !!
    I have been trying to work out some rule-of-thumb where you use the width (in pixels) of the largest item in the photo to determine the Radius setting for this USM Contrast Tweak. Anybody got anything like that??

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great shots of little guys keep eluding me :frown:
    this one is definitely great!!

but I was looking forward to a twig or two, NOT !! :biggrin: :rolleyes:

15. Now this shot works for me... Now if you would clone out that hanging branch on the right side... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: