Finder file sorting

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Dunnart, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Hi everyone

I've come up against an irritating problem in finder and hope you can help me prove how dumb I am by showing me a simple solution.

I'm a recent Windoze convert and in its file manager you can sort files in a directory by type, date etc.

In Finder, I can only arrange files by type when in icon view and not when I'm in list view or column view (which are my prefered viewing modes).

The reason I want to do this is because I shoot RAW and jpeg basic and I sometimes like to just quickly check my photos in Preview. If I can sort into type, then I can just select the jpgs in preview instead of also having to select the NEF's as well.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

2. SmilesLots

SmilesLots Guest

At the top of the window just click on the heading you want to sort by. Click again and it reverses the order. Click the top of another column and it sorts by that column - like size or kind. Under "View" options you can select what columns you want displayed. I ypically use only name, date modified, size and kind. With the Mac it is easy.

3. uurrgghhh !!!!

Thanks John. Its so obvious, I feel really stupid now :)

I got thrown by the greyed out "arrange by" option in the view menu.