Finding the max contrast - calibrating a NEC LCD with i1 display 2

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by rubbub, Jul 9, 2007.

1. rubbub

rubbub

Jun 26, 2006
    Hudson, NH
    I just want to share my experience of calibrating a NEC LCD monitor.

It's a NEC 20.1" 20WMGX2 LCD monitor. I used EYE-ONE Display 2 to calibrate it.

I read some online article about the contrast setting for LCD monitor. There are several opinions:
    1. Leave contrast to manufacture default value; contrast is meaningless for LCD monitor and don't adjust contrast;
    2. Set contrast to 100% and decrease it to erase any washout;

Since I was using i1 display 2, I found out another way to get max(optimal) contrast.

Set monitor's contrast to 50 (the default value), lower monitor's brightness until the contrast gauge move to left of the center in i1 display 2's contrast adjust screen.
    Increase monitor's contrast, which will move the gauge to the right, to a point until further increasing contrast will not move the contrast gauge to the right. In my opinion, that point is the max(optimal) contrast for your LCD monitor.

The contrast is 70 for my LCD monitor if you are curious.

How do you think about my process? Is it right?

2. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Thanks for the info. I am interested in this monitor. If you don't mind, I would like to know why you selected it and how well you like it. I've also been looking at the NEC MultiSync 20-inch SpectraView LCD Monitor LCD2090UXI-BK-SV, which is about $900 more. Is it worth the difference?